PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I've been considering adding a new Savinelli Bing's Favorite Rustic to my collection:
http://pipesandcigars.com/bifasa.html
Any opinions or feedback on these pipes would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Craig

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I own 8 Savinelli and every one is a good smoker. There was a member a few weeks ago that bought a Bing's Favorite so hopefully he will see this and can give a report. I personally think that if it's a Sav and you like the shape you should buy it but I am kinda a fan boy for the Savinelis. :)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Bing's Favorite, and like every Savinelli I own, it smokes well. I have read where Bing Crosby had the stem made longer so that the bowl would not block his face when he was on camera, and it became his signature. As far as I can tell, it does not change the smoking characteristics. So like Spyder71, if you like the look, go with it. Can't go wrong with a Sav.

190531713872.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a number of Savinelli's including the one you are interested in. It's a great pipe and like the others here; you can't go wrong with any Savinelli.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have a bing and it is one of my favorite pipes, good smoker, lightweight, not too big for a medium smoke you won"t be dissappointed, mine is rusticated the old cajun

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 4 Savinelli's in the collection and everyone is a very good smoker. I also like the looks of Bing's pipe and have wondered how they smoke. Thanks for starting this thread.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Savinelli's were my first love in pipes. And the Bing is such a classic. Along with the 320 and the 310, it's my favorite.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I have a Bing, and find it to be a good pipe. Its longer bit and stem length make it a cooler smoke than some of the shorter ones. The bowl is of moderate size, and, while it could be bigger, holds a nice amount of tobacco for an average sized smoke. I find it be a great half-step between regular straight stems and Churchwardens. It's slight downward tilt of the bit makes a nice, natural hold.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Thanks for all of your kind replies Gents. This Bing's Favorite is at the top of my list to buy. Now all I have to do is sneak it past SWMBO :wink:

Jul 15, 2011
I can attest to the very high smoking qualities of all Savinelli pipes, but for purely personal reasons, I just don't like the look of the Bing pipes. It is like a half churchwarden, which to me just doesn't make much sense. If I want a churchwarden, Ill go full Churchwarden. If I want a non Churchwarden, Ill smoke something shorter than that. But if you like the looks, you can't go wrong, because Savinelli makes a quality product. Good luck on your endeavor!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great looking pipe. I'm sure it smokes good. I have two other Savinellis, Miele and Caramella, and I like them a lot. A little off topic, has anyone purchased a Clarkes Favourite and if so how did you like it?

cab1

Lurker
Jul 18, 2012
I have a Clarks favorite that I have smoked a couple bowls out of, and it is a superior pipe. I just like bigger bowls, so I will most likley sell it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Its longer bit and stem length make it a cooler smoke than some of the shorter ones."
I'm a little skeptical of this claim, Checotah. This has been discussed before, but I'm not sure that smoke would be noticeably cooler after travelling an extra inch (at most) of stem.
Any physicists out there?

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I love the Savinellis. I own about eight of them. Bing's Favorite is definitely on my P.A.D list. I own a Clark's Favorite and it smokes great. The bowl is a little small but it has its place. I could always load up another pipe. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.