PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
I agree with those that say this was a glue failure. But it certainly was not mishandled and never got overly hot. There's no question it is a quality issue, since it should not have a glue failure this easily. It's certainly is tempting to fix it myself and be done with it, but among the comments I see several different kinds of glues recommended and there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what the right kind of glue would be. I just hate having to even think about this on a nearly $300 pipe. I'm starting to wonder if this thing was really made in Italy versus China....
Two part quick set epoxy will work on both Delrin/nylon or Teflon. Epoxy is my recommendation.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I don’t see any reason why this would be a heat related, especially given the shape of the pipe. For it to have been that hot, the bowl/chamber would definitely be damaged, especially on a new pipe. While not common, it’s not the first Savinelli we’ve seen this or similar failure on. Unless the tenon was super-tight in the mortise, in which case the glue failure probably saved the pipe from more serious damage, there’s nothing to suggest this wasn’t simple glue failure.
It doesn’t take lots of heat to soften the glue. Think of the little amount of heat it takes to bend a stem…..it just needs enough to soften the glue and couple it with a snug fit to pull off.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It doesn’t take lots of heat to soften the glue. Think of the little amount of heat it takes to bend a stem…..it just needs enough to soften the glue and couple it with a snug fit to pull off.
Yes, it’s all about degree (literally ?) but I feel that the amount of heat needed to soften glue (let alone soften a stem) at that point in the pipe would need to be relatively significant. Even an abused pipe should not generate enough heat at that point in the pipe, especially with an elongated shank as in this case.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I agree with those that say this was a glue failure. But it certainly was not mishandled and never got overly hot. There's no question it is a quality issue, since it should not have a glue failure this easily. It's certainly is tempting to fix it myself and be done with it, but among the comments I see several different kinds of glues recommended and there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what the right kind of glue would be. I just hate having to even think about this on a nearly $300 pipe. I'm starting to wonder if this thing was really made in Italy versus China....
Relax. I am sure this pipe is an authentic Savinelli. I'm also sure you've had an issue with your car, stove, furniture etc at some point in your life. A pipe is no different, they aren't some sort of perfectly manufactured item. Fix it or return it and buy another.

AtlasRearden

Lurker
May 24, 2022
Ok, I called SmokingPipes.com. They were pretty accommodating and said to just send the pipe back in so they could have the manufacturer inspect it. It doesn't even sound like they would attempt to fix it themselves.

For those asking, I discovered the problem when I was removing the stem to clean it and smoke it again the day after my last smoke. So it had been sitting for 24 hours. And prior to that, I was pretty careful to not let it get too hot, since I was breaking in a new pipe.

Given my upcoming trip, and difficulties, SmokingPipes.com helped me out on expedited shipping to my destination. I ended up purchasing a Nording Pipe:
NordingEgg.png

I also bought a Missouri Meerschaum:
BentGentleman.jpg

Not totally ideal that I had to buy new pipes, but I suppose variety is the spice of life. I actually hope they fix the Savinelli, since I was enjoying it until it broke. And I think I kind of liked the balsa wood filters. It seems like most on this forum forego the filters, so I thought the Nording might be a neat complementary pipe to the Sav if I ever get it back.

AtlasRearden

Lurker
May 24, 2022
Relax. I am sure this pipe is an authentic Savinelli. I'm also sure you've had an issue with your car, stove, furniture etc at some point in your life. A pipe is no different, they aren't some sort of perfectly manufactured item. Fix it or return it and buy another.

Ha.. Perhaps that burn was a little too dry, but I'm not seriously suggesting a counterfeit. And yes, those types of issues are the bane of my existence, which is why I try to avoid them whenever possible. Seems like everything breaks far too easily these days, and it's hard to find good quality.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and seanv

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
Ok, I called SmokingPipes.com. They were pretty accommodating and said to just send the pipe back in so they could have the manufacturer inspect it. It doesn't even sound like they would attempt to fix it themselves.

For those asking, I discovered the problem when I was removing the stem to clean it and smoke it again the day after my last smoke. So it had been sitting for 24 hours. And prior to that, I was pretty careful to not let it get too hot, since I was breaking in a new pipe.

Given my upcoming trip, and difficulties, SmokingPipes.com helped me out on expedited shipping to my destination. I ended up purchasing a Nording Pipe:
View attachment 147217

I also bought a Missouri Meerschaum:
View attachment 147218

Not totally ideal that I had to buy new pipes, but I suppose variety is the spice of life. I actually hope they fix the Savinelli, since I was enjoying it until it broke. And I think I kind of liked the balsa wood filters. It seems like most on this forum forego the filters, so I thought the Nording might be a neat complementary pipe to the Sav if I ever get it back.
I'm glad we got you squared away for the upcoming trip, but I wanted to chime-in and say that it looks like the Autograph should be an easy repair, which I'm fairly certain we can handle without sending it back to the manufacturer. Typically we do need to inspect a pipe before we know exactly what our options are for correcting the situation, but this seems pretty straightforward.

We'll reach out to you directly discuss further, but if you love the pipe I'd like to repair it and get it back to you (plus a little something extra for your trouble).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As an interim pipe, at almost no cost, try a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood, which is I think maple. Five dollars and change, and a fine smoking pipe at that.

I'd send that pipe back and get an exchange. I've owned Savinelli's for decades, and they are reliable and dependable, so I think a replacement would be the way to go.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Yes, it’s all about degree (literally ?) but I feel that the amount of heat needed to soften glue (let alone soften a stem) at that point in the pipe would need to be relatively significant. Even an abused pipe should not generate enough heat at that point in the pipe, especially with an elongated shank as in this case.
It’s surprisingly not a lot. Looking at just ArtResin brand, they say 120 degrees is enough to cause irreparable damage. You can hit that by leaving it in the sun or your car. Consider people smoke hot enough to bubble the finishes on their pipe, it’s not that wild a scenario.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It’s surprisingly not a lot. Looking at just ArtResin brand, they say 120 degrees is enough to cause irreparable damage. You can hit that by leaving it in the sun or your car. Consider people smoke hot enough to bubble the finishes on their pipe, it’s not that wild a scenario.
All true but most likely the heat would have been very noticeable to be that hot on the stem side of the tenon. The other part of that is that mostly when we hear about finish bubbling, it’s also something many consider a defect, not user error. I’m not saying it isn’t user error, just that we usually only have anecdotal evidence from the user which usually , “Oh, should this be happening? It was only used under normal smoking conditions” and not, Carp! I think I just ruined my pipe by smoking too hot”. Same here.

AtlasRearden

Lurker
May 24, 2022
For what it's worth, as I was breaking in the pipe, I held the bowl in my hand and if at any point it started to feel more than mildly warm or develop a little bit of a hot spot, I would back off and let it cool. But even at it's hottest, I could have put the bowl up against my cheek and left it there for any amount of time. At no point did the shank ever get hot or even very warm. The last time I smoked it, it seemed noticeably more consistent with temperature regulation--I assume I was finally starting to get some carbon build-up.

I realize a lot of these descriptors are subjective, and it's not like I held a laser thermometer to the bowl, but I'm very confident that I did not apply any undue stressors on the pipe. Especially considering that "pipe dudes" don't strike me as the most delicate lot, and a product marketed to such a group should be a bit more robust than a Fabergé egg...

Hello Everyone,
New member, but I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to my issue. I recently went to SmokingPipes.com and purchased a relatively expensive Savinelli Autograph for $268 along with a number of other accessories and some Drucquer & Sons Loch Ness Pipe Tobacco (which is really good), to explore some pipe smoking action. Everything was going great until I went to remove the stem from my pipe and it came apart. The inner sleeve separated from the mouthpiece, and now the only way to remove the stem is with a pair of pliers, wrapping a rubber band around it to keep it from getting damaged. I was hoping by spending some money on a known brand, it would be pretty straight forward, but I'm super disappointed that I now have an issue to deal with. I reached out to SmokingPipes.com to see if they would honor the product since I spent nearly $500 with them, but I was about to take a trip and excited to bring my pipe with me, but now I'm out of luck. It's too late to order another pipe and get it here before I leave, and I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to this. Attached are some pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about: View attachment 147191

View attachment 147192

View attachment 147193
was it cool or hot when you went to remove it?