PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AtlasRearden

Lurker
May 24, 2022
Hello Everyone,
New member, but I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to my issue. I recently went to SmokingPipes.com and purchased a relatively expensive Savinelli Autograph for $268 along with a number of other accessories and some Drucquer & Sons Loch Ness Pipe Tobacco (which is really good), to explore some pipe smoking action. Everything was going great until I went to remove the stem from my pipe and it came apart. The inner sleeve separated from the mouthpiece, and now the only way to remove the stem is with a pair of pliers, wrapping a rubber band around it to keep it from getting damaged. I was hoping by spending some money on a known brand, it would be pretty straight forward, but I'm super disappointed that I now have an issue to deal with. I reached out to SmokingPipes.com to see if they would honor the product since I spent nearly $500 with them, but I was about to take a trip and excited to bring my pipe with me, but now I'm out of luck. It's too late to order another pipe and get it here before I leave, and I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to this. Attached are some pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about: 20220523_211741.jpg

20220523_211929.jpg

sav_bentbilliard02.png

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Looks like the stem completely came off the tenon, that's definitely not supposed to happen and SmokingPipes should make it right. You mentioned you're leaving soon so did you buy the pipe online in the states and now you're flying back home abroad?

Where do you live? You can probably get in contact with them and ship it back from wherever. Your other options are to seek out a nearby pipe repair shop which we can probably direct you towards once we know where you're heading to.

Reactions: paulfg

AtlasRearden

Lurker
May 24, 2022
Where do you live? You can probably get in contact with them and ship it back from wherever. Your other options are to seek out a nearby pipe repair shop which we can probably direct you towards once we know where you're heading to.
I'm in Southern California, but I'm travelling to Washington state for a handful of reasons. But since I have a fellow pipe smoker up there, I was going to bring the kit along. Disappointing since I don't have a backup and I can't buy a replacement in time for the trip. I even thought of buying a second pipe and some new tobacco, but apparently you can't ship tobacco to Washington.
Use the proper terms so they know what you are talking about. Tenon came off the stem.
Thank you, that's helpful.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Hello Everyone,
New member, but I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to my issue. I recently went to SmokingPipes.com and purchased a relatively expensive Savinelli Autograph for $268 along with a number of other accessories and some Drucquer & Sons Loch Ness Pipe Tobacco (which is really good), to explore some pipe smoking action. Everything was going great until I went to remove the stem from my pipe and it came apart. The inner sleeve separated from the mouthpiece, and now the only way to remove the stem is with a pair of pliers, wrapping a rubber band around it to keep it from getting damaged. I was hoping by spending some money on a known brand, it would be pretty straight forward, but I'm super disappointed that I now have an issue to deal with. I reached out to SmokingPipes.com to see if they would honor the product since I spent nearly $500 with them, but I was about to take a trip and excited to bring my pipe with me, but now I'm out of luck. It's too late to order another pipe and get it here before I leave, and I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to this. Attached are some pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about: View attachment 147191

View attachment 147192

View attachment 147193
The clean break my be a defective stem but rare to a pipe of this quality. Breaking a tenon has happened to many novice smokers, exerting to much pressure to remove stem. You did not mention that it was recently smoked causing swelling of the briar shank. If you want to frequently remove the stem even if replaced or repaired apply a coat of hard wax to the tenon for safe removal. Don’t be surprised if the seller or maker states that the cause rests with your handling. Most of us have learned the hard way.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Nice pipe and I feel for you.
Smokingpipes are very decent people and imho it is not such a big deal.
It is not about the quality of Savinelli pipes, it is only a loose tenon.
I'd post them some pics. ask for a partial refund and glue it back in.
You then safed some money and your uncle's name is Bob.
You can , if you like, add your location to your profile :)

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Nice pipe and I feel for you.
Smokingpipes are very decent people and imho it is not such a big deal.
It is not about the quality of Savinelli pipes, it is only a loose tenon.
I'd post them some pics. ask for a partial refund and glue it back in.
You then safed some money and your uncle's name is Bob.
You can , if you like, add your location to your profile :)
^^This^^. You can then bring your pipe with you. Plus you could still have another pipe posted to you in WA, just not tobacco.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
It is a glue failure and it is a very easy fix. Put the pipe in the freezer for 15-30 min. then take it out and carefully remove the delrin tenon, once the tenon is removed from the stummel, you can take a small file and on the side of the tenon that enters into the stem, file a couple or three grooves in the tenon that will work to form a lock to keep the tenon from spinning inside of the stem after it has been re-glued. Apply said glue on the tenon and insert it back into the stem , seating it all the way in and let it cure for the required time called for on the glue instructions.
Hope this helps!

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'd give SPC the chance to make it right before attempting fixes that may void the warranty. Given the timing and your desire to take it on your trip I'm sure it's tempting to try a fix yourself. Look at it this way it provides a good reason to add more pipes to your collection. Perhaps there are some local B&M's either at home or at your destination that might have something to fill in for your Autograph.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Out of curiosity how long did you let it rest before removing? Excessive heat can also soften the glue and lead to the failure vs. it being simply a failure in the product.

Plenty of companies and even many artisans use glue in tenons. I dislike them for this very reason. There’s always that risk regardless of price point.

you might be able to find a cob at a local drug store in a pinch.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I don’t see any reason why this would be a heat related, especially given the shape of the pipe. For it to have been that hot, the bowl/chamber would definitely be damaged, especially on a new pipe. While not common, it’s not the first Savinelli we’ve seen this or similar failure on. Unless the tenon was super-tight in the mortise, in which case the glue failure probably saved the pipe from more serious damage, there’s nothing to suggest this wasn’t simple glue failure.

AtlasRearden

Lurker
May 24, 2022
I agree with those that say this was a glue failure. But it certainly was not mishandled and never got overly hot. There's no question it is a quality issue, since it should not have a glue failure this easily. It's certainly is tempting to fix it myself and be done with it, but among the comments I see several different kinds of glues recommended and there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what the right kind of glue would be. I just hate having to even think about this on a nearly $300 pipe. I'm starting to wonder if this thing was really made in Italy versus China....

Reactions: Latakia Dave
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I agree with those that say this was a glue failure. But it certainly was not mishandled and never got overly hot. There's no question it is a quality issue, since it should not have a glue failure this easily. It's certainly is tempting to fix it myself and be done with it, but among the comments I see several different kinds of glues recommended and there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what the right kind of glue would be. I just hate having to even think about this on a nearly $300 pipe. I'm starting to wonder if this thing was really made in Italy versus China....
How long after smoking did you wait to remove the stem?