PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
If your pipe is a Sav you shouldn't have any issues. Kinda like Vauen with their Dr Perl for 9 mm: made to fit their own pipes.

Third parties is where you run into issues.
I found the Dr Perl to be the same length as Hilson and Futeng filters. I've used the Dr Perl in 7 pipes from 4 different makers. I'm satisfied.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Thanks for the post, but I have a question you may or may not be able to answer; how many bowls can you reasonably get out of one of these filters? I generally get 3 bowls out of a balsa before having to toss it.
I toss my 9mm charcoals after one bowl.They get pretty well impregnated with the brown shlock and moisture.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Im confident they should fit properly, I guess my main moncern is if the draw is still rather tight due to it being 6mm and not 9mm. I like Savinellis but I also prefer to use charcoal filters and their selection of 9mm pipes is rather limited. This would open up alot more options for Savinelli and Rossi pipes.
On Ebay there is a shop called 'Marini' it sells nearly the whole range of waxed/slight blemish savinelli pipes you have the option of choosing 9mm stems. Excellent value for money worth a look.
I use elephant brand 6mm filters in my cobs, key is to tap the filter both ends a few times

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I picked up a 100 count tin of these new ones and like them way better than the white elephant. However, now they’re sold out everywhere in the states. Anyone know if they’ll be restocked? I’d like to know before I go buying up 6mm Savs.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I find straight pipes can be cleaned very effectively with one of those shank brushes and water. Paper towel for the bowl, although a dedicated rag that gets rinsed out often will also work. Pipes were used before the time of disposable cleaning materials, I’m sure we can be just as creative as they were.
Shank brushes are OK for shanks but do not fit in stems. Having cleaned up lots of estates, and it's amazing how much tar and crud accumulate in stems.

And talking of time before disposables, not sure if I want to go back to days before toilet rolls ?

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
For me, charcoal filters make for a better smoke, moisture wise as well as taste wise. Others disagree, thats their prerogative. Im not sure how it affects the nicotine, if at all.
Agreed. I experimented quite a bit with same pipes with adapter and same blends. The 9mm charcoal filter delivered a smooth smoke with great taste. Thats all I use now.

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
On Ebay there is a shop called 'Marini' it sells nearly the whole range of waxed/slight blemish savinelli pipes you have the option of choosing 9mm stems. Excellent value for money worth a look.
I use elephant brand 6mm filters in my cobs, key is to tap the filter both ends a few times
Is that seller name correct? I just searched eBay and cannot find it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
They remove nicotine, tar, and moisture.
i.e. smoke. That's all they do is capture smoke (which has those things). They literally just make less smoke got from the tobacco out of the pipe into your mouth. You know the same thing slowing down does or smoking less tobacco. And yeah that lower volume of smoke basically just means you're burning more tobacco and smoking less of it. But the ratios of moisture and nicotine and particles stays pretty consistent with or without a filter.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Is that seller name correct? I just searched eBay and cannot find it.
The name is Tabacchiera Marini(its a B&M tobacconist in Pordonne Italy) unfortunately they only sell a few styles in the waxed now.Before Bexit I was paying £34.00 a pipe plus postage I bought lots of them.The price has really gone up as well as the postage .Worth a look check that they do the 9mm stems they are very good at responding to ebay messages.

FredB

Lurker
Feb 6, 2022
Montreal
Anyone tried these? The last 6mm charcoal filters I bought, White Elephant I believe, were too long for most pipes and had very tight draws. Im curious if the Savinellis are made properly.
Almost all Savs use balsa either 6 or 9 mm. You could message Sav Italy for your question.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I have some if the 6mm Savenelli filters.
They do seem to restrict a little more than my Vauen 9mm filters. I am usually only able to get one smoke out of them vs 2 or 3 out of the 9mm's.
I usually only use filters when I have a tried tounge or when I can't wait or I am too lazy to dry a tobacco before smoking.
They are handy to have as an option. Another downside is they are usually pricey.

Reactions: fireground_piper

FredB

Lurker
Feb 6, 2022
Montreal
I dry to near crisp under a heat lamp. Most of my moisture comes from my mouth down the stem versus from the tobacco chamber.
One way to eliminate your problem is when you feel the moisture in the stem just take a pipe cleaner and push it down the stem and collect the moisture and continue smoking.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
One way to eliminate your problem is when you feel the moisture in the stem just take a pipe cleaner and push it down the stem and collect the moisture and continue smoking.
I don’t consider it a problem. The balsa removes the need to carry a pipe cleaner. I use zero pipe cleaners while smoking with a balsa in.

Reactions: TonyManx

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I have decided the Savinelli 6mm filters work better than elephant brand as they have more holes,five each end.I now use them in my MM cobs and Grabows.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I just received a box of 6mm Sav charcoal filters and tried them in two pipes of 1/2 bowls of tobacco. The pipes were Sav Erica Fiamma 128 and Dry System 2614KS. They do require a concerted draw (draw is tighter) but they allow for a cooler, drier, smoke and force me to slow down my cadence allowing the tobacco to smolder vs burn. Overall, they are much better for me. The two 1/2 bowls produced a little discoloration at the pipe end but remained fairly clean so I left them in to use again for next bowl. I didn't notice any tongue bite or change in tobacco flavor ... in fact, I tasted more of the nuances of the Old Toby. Very pleasant. The balsa filters get very wet and guncky with wet tobaccos but do reduce tar and nicotine by 66% per two University lab studies per the Savinelli website. They tested meerschaum, bamboo (like Brigham maple rock filters) and balsa wood which was porous and lighter. They went with balsa for cost effectiveness. I'm sold until the next great thing comes out !;)puffy

Reactions: EvertonFC