PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Don't you find a reduction in the effects after just one use? I toss mine after every use.
Not enough to throw it away...I can usually get 3 bowls out of each. Even if the filter gets saturated, it will still do a pretty good job at catching the tar that accumulates on the outside of it.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet Sav did these for the European market where most of the 9 mm filters are charcoal. European pipe smokers are huge on filters. Especially for new pipe smokers, filters are confusing and irksome, with seemingly dozens of alternatives if you count "keystones," and "rock maple filters," stingers from the old days, moisture rings, balsa, Dr. Grabow and Medico paper filters, and so on. Then there are adaptors to replace filters, and smoking filter pipes without filters or adaptors. This is the least explained and most confusing aspect of pipe smoking for beginners. It is a small issue, but takes a lot of trial and error, and filters bought you don't want, and so on. So Sav has a new charcoal filter; put a card in your file on that. Here's a tip on taking advantage of the situation. Pipes designed for 9mm filters are often priced at discount in the U.S. because the filters aren't as popular here, but usually they smoke fine without the filters, so unless you are looking at something way up market (high priced) it will probably smoke fine without the filter. After a certain price point, you probably only want exactly what you want.

Reactions: Osirus

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not enough to throw it away...I can usually get 3 bowls out of each. Even if the filter gets saturated, it will still do a pretty good job at catching the tar that accumulates on the outside of it.
So far, I toss a balsa filter after every smoke, not because they are saturated but because I will smoke something different in the same pipe next time. Ghost of blends past and all that.

I may have to stop doing that and start reusing them.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Im confident they should fit properly, I guess my main moncern is if the draw is still rather tight due to it being 6mm and not 9mm. I like Savinellis but I also prefer to use charcoal filters and their selection of 9mm pipes is rather limited.

I recently began exploring the world of 9mm pipes. What I discovered is that pipe makers ,like Savinelli and Peterson, make a lot more 9mm pipes for the European market than for the U.S. market. SmokingPipes has a European web site as well. They ship worldwide for €7 (flat rate) and for free for orders of €100 or more. As you can see, they currently have hundreds of 9mm Savs:

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Thanks for the post, but I have a question you may or may not be able to answer; how many bowls can you reasonably get out of one of these filters? I generally get 3 bowls out of a balsa before having to toss it.

It so very much depends on what you're smoking and your smoking style that there really isn't a right answer here. The general expectation is that they're replaced after each smoke, but if you're getting three bowls out of a balsa filter, that's obviously perfectly fine. Really, it's whatever works for you.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I recently began exploring the world of 9mm pipes. What I discovered is that pipe makers ,like Savinelli and Peterson, make a lot more 9mm pipes for the European market than for the U.S. market. SmokingPipes has a European web site as well. They ship worldwide for €7 (flat rate) and for free for orders of €100 or more. As you can see, they currently have hundreds of 9mm Savs:

Very interesting thanks. I know the savinelli website has plenty of 9mm pipes as well, but the shipping is more expensive.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Savinelli 6mm charcoal filters? Interesting... I have used Vauen 9mm charcoal filters in my Savinelli pipes and they definitely restrict the draw A LOT more than the standard balsa wood filters. I like filters and the charcoal ones are just okay; I prefer the balsa wood ones for the best compromise of draw and flavor.

Reactions: TonyManx

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
Anyone tried these? The last 6mm charcoal filters I bought, White Elephant I believe, were too long for most pipes and had very tight draws. Im curious if the Savinellis are made properly.
Hello, I just got some of the White Elephant 6mm meerschaum filters. I like them so far. It's not that Savinellis aren't made right, those filters are longer than the balsa ones. I didn't have a draw problem

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
Thanks for the post, but I have a question you may or may not be able to answer; how many bowls can you reasonably get out of one of these filters? I generally get 3 bowls out of a balsa before having to toss it. MY REPLY: I remove the balsa after each smoke and dry it by squeezing in a cloth. Then I let air dry before using many more times.