Sasquatch...Do You Believe They Exist? Have You Encountered One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
th

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
for the original question. I don't believe in Bigfoot however I also wouldn't be that surprised if they found a real life one either. It seems so unlikely but also just plausible enough. Kind of reminds me of how even in a place like where I live where I don't know how people get lost in the woods if you follow any streams or just walk down the hill long enough you'll find a town or a road (when I was a kid I'd run around in the woods and never got lost because just like a date if you go down you'll eventually get to a good place, occasionally I'd have a really long walk home by the highway). Even here we have bears and bobcats and occasionally bigger cats and people almost never see those guys except the bears but even they got more stealth then makes sense, so yeah an intelligent homind or primate deeper in the woods it's barely possible but barely is a lot more then im(possible).

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I grew up in NJ and believe or not, we have our own legend of a bigfoot creature known as "Big Red Eye". Most of the sightings and encounters have taken place in the more rual Northwestern part of the state. Documented sightings and sounds seemed to have been more prevalent in the 1970s and growing up in the area during that time period, it was not uncommon to hear stories of a bipedal ape like creature with large red eyes....Now ask me if I believe;...I like to think that anything is possible in nature but in all the time that I have spent in the woods and wilds of North Jersey, which was considerable in my youth, I have yet to come across evidence of a Bigfoot or Sasquatch or whatever you want to call it...Now that does not mean my experience is the end all be all of this phenomenon, especially when I know that park rangers in Hi-Point State Park will swear to the fact that there is something out of the ordinary out there. Weird New Jersey has some entertaining information on the subject that might be of interest.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Laughing. I do believe I live with a Sasquatch...they are also known as Teen boys. Otherwise, no, not much of a chance one exists after hundreds of years looking by thousands and thousands of people. But the conspiracy folks love to keep Sasquatch, Nessie, Mermaids, secret alien moon camps, etc....going. Otherwise, how do they make their money from page hits, annual meetings, and t-shirt sales?

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I do a bit of casual writing as a hobby, and I once started writing a story about a guy who actually saw Sasquatch, and his struggles to rationalize it and making the decision whether or not he would tell anyone. I thought it would be funny but it turned into a PTSD thing and I couldn’t really tell it from the humorous angle I wanted to. I might try it again, though, because I really like the concept.

When I worked In the UP, there was Sasquatch shit everywhere, apparently he lives up there?

My friend’s ex’s mother was a Sasquatch believer. He would ask her “ have ya seen any lately?” And she would say things like, “ oh, just yesterday there was a baby Squatch on the bird feeders!” She was known among the Ohio Bigfoot Society, a thing which actually exists. She had them out once, to do field recordings/take pictures/whatever they do. They had one of those giant microphones to record Squatchsounds.

So this woman’s son, being pretty rational about the Bigfoot thing, got his friends together on a neighboring property, and, fueled by some Jim Beam, he and his friends began howling and beating on trees with logs etc.

The Bigfoot people jumped outta their skin. They really believed that those drunk asswipes out there were Sasquatches making all that racket. They got it all on tape and proclaimed, “Oh, you’ve DEFINITELY got Bigfoot here!” Somewhere on the internet you can hear the recording they made. I’ll search for it and see if I can post later.

Oh, I don’t believe in Sasquatch, to answer the question.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I do a bit of casual writing as a hobby, and I once started writing a story about a guy who actually saw Sasquatch, and his struggles to rationalize it and making the decision whether or not he would tell anyone. I thought it would be funny but it turned into a PTSD thing and I couldn’t really tell it from the humorous angle I wanted to. I might try it again, though, because I really like the concept.

When I worked In the UP, there was Sasquatch shit everywhere, apparently he lives up there?

My friend’s ex’s mother was a Sasquatch believer. He would ask her “ have ya seen any lately?” And she would say things like, “ oh, just yesterday there was a baby Squatch on the bird feeders!” She was known among the Ohio Bigfoot Society, a thing which actually exists. She had them out once, to do field recordings/take pictures/whatever they do. They had one of those giant microphones to record Squatchsounds.

So this woman’s son, being pretty rational about the Bigfoot thing, got his friends together on a neighboring property, and, fueled by some Jim Beam, he and his friends began howling and beating on trees with logs etc.

The Bigfoot people jumped outta their skin. They really believed that those drunk asswipes out there were Sasquatches making all that racket. They got it all on tape and proclaimed, “Oh, you’ve DEFINITELY got Bigfoot here!” Somewhere on the internet you can hear the recording they made. I’ll search for it and see if I can post later.

Oh, I don’t believe in Sasquatch, to answer the question.
It is a funny topic to write about. I’ve never seen a Bigfoot but I can relate somewhat. I do know how infuriating it is to see something unusual, be 100% sure of what you’ve seen, and have no one believe you. It’s maddening!
When I was about 15, I was deer hunting near the Red River here in NW Louisiana. I saw a mountain lion walk out right in front of me, no more than 35 yds away, in plain sight. There was absolutely no mistaking what it was. Now we are outside the established range of mountain lions, and game wardens insisted then that we don’t have them, and anyone who saw one was written off as being “ol’ half-blind Bubba who had too many Bud-Lights.” I had people try to convince me that my eyes were playing tricks on me or insinuate that I really just saw a coyote or a bobcat and was too dumb to know the difference. I finally quit telling people what I had seen. Fast forward years later and game cameras became popular. Someone got footage of one, and one was even trapped near Natchitoches, LA, which is an hour south of here. So in the end I guess I got some vindication, but it was frustrating as hell not being believed all those years.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It is a funny topic to write about. I’ve never seen a Bigfoot but I can relate somewhat. I do know how infuriating it is to see something unusual, be 100% sure of what you’ve seen, and have no one believe you. It’s maddening!
When I was about 15, I was deer hunting near the Red River here in NW Louisiana. I saw a mountain lion walk out right in front of me, no more than 35 yds away, in plain sight. There was absolutely no mistaking what it was. Now we are outside the established range of mountain lions, and game wardens insisted then that we don’t have them, and anyone who saw one was written off as being “ol’ half-blind Bubba who had too many Bud-Lights.” I had people try to convince me that my eyes were playing tricks on me or insinuate that I really just saw a coyote or a bobcat and was too dumb to know the difference. I finally quit telling people what I had seen. Fast forward years later and game cameras became popular. Someone got footage of one, and one was even trapped near Natchitoches, LA, which is an hour south of here. So in the end I guess I got some vindication, but it was frustrating as hell not being believed all those years.

Yep! To me, the humor on the situation comes from a guy, clearly disturbed about something for weeks, finally comes clean to his deeply concerned family...”I saw Sasquatch...”.

Funny you mention mountain lions...while I was running a camp south of Munising, MI, the MDNR had just recently admitted that there were cougars in the UP, after years of sightings and game camera captures. For years, they tried to explain the sightings away as housecats etc. I was thinking of that when, while driving home at night down a lonely wilderness 2-track road in the Hiawatha, I transmuted cougars into Sasquatch and came up with the story idea.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know. I am at that point where I don't believe in them and think it's so unlikely there would be a giant hominid ruining around and not leaving more solid evidence (like what made that poop evidence). But at the same time if there suddenly was proof I wouldn't be all that surprised either unlike nessie which would turn me on my ear.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Come to think of it, I met Sasquatch at a wedding one time. The young folks, the bride and groom's friends, were really drawn to him. He had a really strong handshake. He was loud and talkative, and could really drink, and no one could dance like him especially as the hour grew late. I last saw him slumped in a folding chair, one of the last guests, laughing quietly to himself, lazily chewing a piece of the wedding cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.