PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
TobaccoPipes.com had some Lakeland Dark available in their SG drop last week. That's one of the the only times I remember seeing it in stock.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I was able to purchase 3 tins of Cabbie's, 1 tin of FVF and 1 tin of 1792(haven't had this one yet) from Watch City Cigars last night. Might have been the last of the Cabbie's they had.
When Tobaccopipes had their drop the other day I missed my notification email by 15 mins on Cabbie's and by the time I got to log in it was all sold out. I suppose it's all in the thrill of the chase.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lots of wonderful blends available. I don’t hoard but have come to a point where I don’t even look anymore. Have enough tobacco that I enjoy for the rest of my life. My Cellar is full. Now I just need to control my PAD.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What makes it more fun is that when Tobacco Pipes got their drop, it was in the middle of a 10% off all tobacco sale!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Some of these blends may be in danger of losing their unicorn status...they're starting to become too easy to get.

Oct 7, 2016
would wager your success with just calling around has to do with you shopping with those businesses for many years. I have quite limited success doing that. Usually I get some grouchy old guy who doesn't even know what pipe tobacco I am talking about. I have had some stores flat out lie that they don't have what I want, when I know for a fact that they do. No wonder younger pipers feel more comfortable ordering online.
You would lose that bet. I have had all the negative experiences you relate, but enough positive ones to keep at it. I only started going to these extremes a year or so ago, and by now there are 6-8 shops that know me and are happy to accommodate me. Hints: don’t call during major drops, don’t say you are only interested in Penzance or Stonehaven

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I think it's because too many people are dependent on a few online stores and they don't want either to make the effort to find a another source for unobtainium, and/or are unwilling, or unable, to pay a few bucks more to a B&M that stocks it. So they get pissed off when unobtainium "X" vanishes in a matter of moments, rather than finding other sources. People here have been generous about sharing their sources if they know that you're looking. My sources have asked me not to share because they don't want to be flooded with calls from cherry pickers, and that's their right. They reserve the rare stuff for their regular customers. They sell to me because I'm not a cherry picker. I buy a range of blends and occasionally add a few tins or a bag of some "unobtainium" if it happens to be in stock.
I think too many people would never say anything that doesn't agree to what majority thinks. They would not dare to speak out against injustice if majority thinks it is all business as usual. Herd behaviour is what resulted in every wrong doing in history and yet still we are here.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would wager your success with just calling around has to do with you shopping with those businesses for many years.
True to a degree but I've had success buying from a number of B&M's within the first call or two. Probably depends on your approach as well.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I think too many people would never say anything that doesn't agree to what majority thinks.
I think Dunhill pipes are garbage, Captain Black Grape is a great smoke, and Penzance makes a good mixer. The majority really doesn't scrutinize me for my likes. Though I do enjoy some of the more popular tobaccos and artisan pipes I still freely think. You really need to spend more time around the forum to see what goes on rather than condemning everyone.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
True to a degree but I've had success buying from a number of B&M's within the first call or two. Probably depends on your approach as well.
Same. A lot of B&Ms are losing patrons to online shopping and are happy for the business. Ernie Q from Watch City contacted me a while ago about an upcoming limited release blend next month and I've done business with them only a handful of times. A good attitude and courtesy are everything.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
It is very right and just that I should stockpile and consume as much tobacco as I so chose.
Life is for the taking. Success is for those that do. :puffy:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I think too many people would never say anything that doesn't agree to what majority thinks. They would not dare to speak out against injustice if majority thinks it is all business as usual. Herd behaviour is what resulted in every wrong doing in history and yet still we are here.
Do you think you might be completely overeating? It is only tobacco, it hardly rises to a wrongdoing in the historical sense, that classification is reserved for incidents like sewing Carthage in salt, the Reign of Terror or the Cultural Revolution. Tobacco is just a luxury, the fact that you can't get what you want when you want is not an injustice, it's an inconvenience.
Or perhaps you're right and Sable is the market master for the Tsarist Tobacco Hoarding Commissariat, and he merely has us programmed. Fight on modern Gracchi!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, you will be blasted into the cornfield for speaking your mind here.
Injustice? Over the availability of a couple of dozen blends at online stores? If you were speaking to people not getting the medical help they need because it's so expensive, or malnourished kids, or something like that, I would agree with you. But tobacco? Does it get any more first world than that? Boo freakin' hoo.

I, and others here have been telling people for years to support B&M's and to make contacts to find what you're looking for, rather than banging your head against a pebble. I'm happily done chasing the few hard to find blends that I like. It took patience, and a few years because I never wiped out a source, just added a tin here and a bag there, but that's over and I can let it age, which is one of the reasons that I cellared.
I've made no secret about what I think of the current Balkan Sobranie, Penzance, and other obsessed over blends and in case anyone has missed this I'll repeat it. I find Germain's Balkan Sobranie thoroughly and unspeakably vile, and Penzance mediocre, neither of them worth contaminating one of my pipes. But that's just me. Others love them for reasons that I cannot fathom. And so far, no one has excommunicated me for saying that.
The only herd instinct involved is the one that says the only way to buy any hard to find blend is to wait for it to show up online.
Like everything else in this life, if you want something, go out and find it. If you make the effort you will find what you're looking for. And if you think that everything should just be handed to you when you want it, good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.