PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I prefer tomatoes because I know they have nicotine...not sure about tahmahtoes or 'maters.

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
I walked into my local B&M during my lunch break today. Surprisingly, they appeared to be fully stocked with both Samuel Gawith and Esoterica. 5 minutes later, I casually strolled out with some FVF and Best Brown, and a Davidoff cigar. I wasn't accosted, harassed, or interrogated on my intended use of said tobacco's. Was just asked, "how many ya want"? Wasn't even mugged in the parking lot for my ill gotten gains. Sigh, so disappointing.
Being new to the pipe world, I was rather taken aback by the whole hording discussion. From all I have read, it is generally acknowledged that many blends get better with age. Why would it then be surprising for someone to buy multiple tins at a time so that they could enjoy some now, and some later? Why is it acceptable to buy a case of wine (encouraged even), to then age it slowly, and coax it into it's full glory, sampling its progress along the way, (referred to, I believe as cellaring). But for some reason is looked upon by some as an evil act if instead of a case of wine, one buys a dozen tins or a few pounds of a favored leaf? There are similar scarcities in the wine market for particular vintners or especial years, but no one decries "hording!" if they were too slow to purchase. Instead, you find a buddy who was lucky to score some of said sought after nectar and invite them to dinner, and hope to share the bounty during a relaxing repast.
I have opened the tin of Best Brown to enjoy, and have secreted away the FVF, to mature into it's full glory.
Full glasses and dry bowls my friends!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
When I really want to lay in a quantity of something, I get on the phone and call,but a lot of people newer to pipe smoking seem to only be comfortable with web pages and email.
I would wager your success with just calling around has to do with you shopping with those businesses for many years. I have quite limited success doing that. Usually I get some grouchy old guy who doesn't even know what pipe tobacco I am talking about. I have had some stores flat out lie that they don't have what I want, when I know for a fact that they do. No wonder younger pipers feel more comfortable ordering online.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
I will brave my local codger hang out for Esoterica. The rancid smell of $2 cigars doesn't even phase me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would wager your success with just calling around has to do with you shopping with those businesses for many years.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Some B&Ms have lost foot traffic to online vendors and are happy for the business. The only time I had an issue finding something was during the McClelland rush last year.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Man, I've been sitting on my hands this whole time waiting for the hoarders to wipe out everything and now I have a 500g box in my cart while I continue browsing and debate getting more. I prefer SG/GH blends fresh, that's my problem. Already have what I want but the future is uncertain and all. Way to drop the ball, hoarders, didn't think I would be having this debate with myself if I waited long enough...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But for some reason is looked upon by some as an evil act if instead of a case of wine, one buys a dozen tins or a few pounds of a favored leaf?
I think it's because too many people are dependent on a few online stores and they don't want either to make the effort to find a another source for unobtainium, and/or are unwilling, or unable, to pay a few bucks more to a B&M that stocks it. So they get pissed off when unobtainium "X" vanishes in a matter of moments, rather than finding other sources. People here have been generous about sharing their sources if they know that you're looking. My sources have asked me not to share because they don't want to be flooded with calls from cherry pickers, and that's their right. They reserve the rare stuff for their regular customers. They sell to me because I'm not a cherry picker. I buy a range of blends and occasionally add a few tins or a bag of some "unobtainium" if it happens to be in stock.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Man, I've been sitting on my hands this whole time waiting for the hoarders to wipe out everything and now I have a 500g box in my cart while I continue browsing and debate getting more.
I'm looking at boxes of Ennerdale and Bob's Chocolate Flake online myself. Darn those hoarders.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
I know! Haven't even had a chance to stop by any of the stores here yet either, that's going to likely hit me in the wallet too. Thanks, hoarders.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Alright, just grabbed 500g of Grasmere from one of the big name online vendors that's running a sale... I'm trying to do my part but we need everybody buying.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Why is it acceptable to buy a case of wine (encouraged even), to then age it slowly, and coax it into it's full glory, sampling its progress along the way, (referred to, I believe as cellaring). But for some reason is looked upon by some as an evil act if instead of a case of wine, one buys a dozen tins or a few pounds of a favored leaf? There are similar scarcities in the wine market for particular vintners or especial years, but no one decries "hording!" if they were too slow to purchase.
Yes, in many ways it's a good analogy...and due to the "war on tobacco" there is even a much greater justification for hoarding stockpiling cellaring it.
But the unique thing about all of these premium pipe tobacco blends is that it is a somewhat sophisticated luxury that is affordable to the average guy...unlike collecting fine wines.
People with wine cellars typically have a degree of wealth well above average...whereas there are a lot of us lowly riff-raff involved in cellaring tobacco.
The perception is of someone in a low rent district living on bologna and peanut butter while scrounging every spare dime for another tin of tobacco. There is a tendency to resist referring to such activity in a complimentary fashion by using a term such as cellaring.
Hoarding essentially denotes a low class activity (or at least that seems to be the general perception)...and I think that to some degree accounts for the perception of what's going on with pipe tobacco. But perception and reality aren't often the same.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Alright, just grabbed 500g of Grasmere from one of the big name online vendors that's running a sale... I'm trying to do my part but we need everybody buying.
That 10% off was hard to pass up! Got 500g of Glengarry and Grasmere.

okiematt

Lurker
Mar 28, 2019
Oklahoma
Hello all
I'm Matt. New as a member but have been lurking for a long time. Got into pipe smoking about 4 years ago. I have to confess that I'm a Royal Yacht lover and hoarder but I'm not a Black Frigate fan. I know, it's terrible.
Question for you guys...is SG Lakeland Dark still in production? I'm a fan of 1792 as well as FVF and wanted to try LD but have never seen it on shelf.
Appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.