PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I am probably going to go up to JR Cigars tomorrow to get some baccy. Besides FVF what should I buy here are my options
1792 Flake

Best Brown Flake ( I Hate this Stuff)

Chocolate Flake

Commonwealth Mixture

Grouse Moor

Perfection

Sams Flake

Skiff Mixture

Squadron Leader

Westmorland Mixture
???????
ooooo and three other options

AC Peterson Escudo

Rattray Marlin Flake

Erinmore Flake
I love my flakes!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Your choices look a little heavy on the aromatics.

I recommend a mild latakia blend. It will usually have a name like: Early Morning Pipe, or Breakfast Blend. "Latakia its not just for breakfast anymore."

Most people around you won't understand what you like in the smoke, but it will be worth your while.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I like squardron leader has a great smoky, leather aroma in the tin and a little spice when smoking. I smoke atleast a bowl of it a day usually in the evening.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
One of my favorite SG's aside from Commonwealth is Bracken Flake. Eat a good meal and be sitting down.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/samuel-gawith-bracken-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
Squadron Leader is an excellent Balkan full of complexity -- can't go wrong with it.
Commonwealth is a latakia powerhouse that is quite planar, but is one of the silkiest smokes out there. Can't go wrong with that either.
1792 is a strong, bombastic flake that you either love or hate, but which you will have to try at some point to make up your own mind about. (I love it.)
As for Escudo, I discovered it only a couple of weeks ago and it's already become a desert island blend for me --- an incredible VaPer.
Basically, any SG is worth a shot -- a top-notch blender.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Samuel Gawith is an amazing blending house. The only blend that I have smoked from SG that I didn't like was 1792. It was still high quality tobacco, I just don't care for the taste at all.
Some of my favorites are:

Full Virginia Flake

Fire Dance Flake

St. James Flake

Best Brown Flake

Perfection

Chocolate Flake
Wow, I guess I pretty much like them all, lol.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
The only blend that I have smoked from SG that I didn't like was 1792. It was still high quality tobacco, I just don't care for the taste at all.
See what I mean?
Thanks, Bob. You can sit down now.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I don't know if anyone noticed but I started a Sam Gawith group. And everyone is free to join!

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Give Full Virginia Flake a try there is no Latakia in it. Real smooth cool smoking straight Virginia. And Best Brown Flake tastes similar to FVF but it is Creamy a little more fuller of a smoke and Bites like a mad dog.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I was given a sample of FVF and liked it so well, I bought two pounds. Sip it in a small bowl and it doesn't bite at all.
Ghost45, youm might try their black rope. My wife says it has a tyeriki aroma and tastes of charred roast beef. It's not quite as strong as the browns in nicotine.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
As anyone noticed that all tobacco retailers stock of Samuel Gawith tins have been very spotty for the past two or three months.
Can anyone enlighten me?
ooo and check the Samuel Gawith group for new posts!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
SG is a very popular tobacco manufacturer and it seems to me that retailers always seem to run out of stock a couple of times of year.
I guess it might have something to do with when it first happened a couple of years ago. Ever since then when SG gets back in stock at the retailers, there is a rush on it and it is out of stock again. People want to hurry up and get it while it's available.
Add in the facts that it is tax return time and the H.R 4439 scare and everyone is adding to their stash right now.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
That is good news I guess..... I was worried something happened to Sam Gawith. Well I guess i will just have to wait for stores to restock. GRRRRRRRRR!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
While I haven’t tried 1792, I do have a block of Cob Plug, which is blended from the same formula. I don’t mind the flavor at all and it smells great, but I can’t finish a bowl unless it’s the smallest bowl I have. If you’re anything like me, it will give you hiccups.
I also got a sample of Squadron Leader from a smoke shop last weekend. I’ve aired it out some, but it was so moist from the shop that it still needs drying. From what little I can tell from the badly burning bowl that I had, it may become one of my favorites and a daily smoke when I can afford it.
I’ve got almost a pound of Best Brown Flake and it’s never bit my tongue. As a matter of fact, I usually smoke it in my larger bowls due to its mildness.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I cringe and my tongue begins to scream in pain every time someone mentions BBF.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I ordered a tin of Kendall Cream yesterday. I cannot wait to try it. I added it to a bulk order, as an after thought. There are so many S.G.s with great reviews, it was hard to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.