PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I received my Black XX today. I was excited, today I would take on the beast! Today I would defeat him and pull his teeth. Many cried out, no you cannot win. Fools they, HA, I would show them! Thor himself came down to watch the epic battle.
I loaded my trusty weapon, my Peterson XL02, to the top!! Gandolf the Grey arrived and counciled I was a fool, a brave fool, but a fool none the less. I laughed and shouted now is the time!! Flame to leaf, the crowd goes quiet with anticipation, waiting for beast to appear and slay me. I took sip after sip with fire in my eyes. I would not be caught unawares!! Am I worthy, AM I, I scream to the gods. I see the beast wisping out of my weapon, but he holds no fear for me! For now I know the beasts weakness......he tastes like creamy, wonderful steak. I will slay this beast, no steak will slay me, oh no not ME!!
He stares at me, he tries to break my mind. Then reaches for my body, but is stopped by my hard glare. My mouth smiles, but my eyes scream VICTORY!! As I watch the beast screams, begins to tear at itself. He knows he has lost, he has no more attacks left.
I have won!!! The beast begins to shrink and shrink, screaming as it does. I raise my warriors boot and crush him underfoot!! I hear the lamentations of his women and I find it GOOD!! I ransack his palice and ride away with much treasure, but none as important as his beloved Black XX!!

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Great review, thanks. XX is on my 'to be tried' list but I can't say when I'll get to it. It's like my 'to be read' list...I own more books than I'll ever be able to read :(

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Gee, fordm60! I almost dare ask how one would have been able to tame a demon of such magnitude-- and then it hits me upside the head. "It" being the fact that I am probably quite sensitive to nicotine, knowing that Haunted Bookshop gives me superior relaxation and is thus reserved for nighttime only. Because my XX is now very dried-out and cut into coins, I can add it whenever I like to any weaker blend. I might crumble it all up and mix it with my Black Cherry twist from Sam Gawith and use those both as a super-punch to straight OTCs for nights when I wish to drink (which is less often as time goes by).
hierophant-- I also have a whole bunch of books that I probably won't get around to reading for a few years yet. But at least I now have a small starter library for my future man cave.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
An hour later, as you slowly regain your composure, you realize that tobacco does kill and vow to never touch Samuel Gawith XX again.
Then, if you're me, you order 1/2 lb from your favorite tobacconist...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The various forms of tobacco -- flakes, ropes, coins, ready rubbed, shag -- remind me of the different forms in which candy was made when I was a kid. Going to a real candy store was a feast for the imagination as much as the belly. Or whatever it is that appreciates candy, I -- after my first codger burley, I became a curmudgeon -- find no utility or pleasure in it.

kingjon

Can't Leave
Aug 27, 2013
This thread is priceless! Black XX has shot its way up to the number 1 position on my need to try list, once either SP or PC gets it back in stock.
Jon

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I just received my tin the curious cat I am. Your post make me shiver with anxiety though. Shall I tackle the beast?

I have found that ropes differ in vitamin N content. Mac Barens Darks Twist or Three Nuns is absolutely fine with me. Dunhills variety knocked me off my feet though. Hmm, guess I will need to have a healthy meal before I dare to try it.... 8O

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
There's something about that tobacco that inspires reviewers. These were my thoughts after my first bowl of the stuff: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/samuel-gawith-black-xx-finest-kendal-twist
I tried another bowl of it last week, though, and this time it didn't hit me anywhere near as hard. It grows on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.