PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
What a review! Very nice. Now I feel like my reviews go in the “Dick and Jane” section ?

What’s the Lakeland like? Heavy, light? @BROBS has convinced me to give Lakelands another try so I may end up joining the club. Hey, I almost went and bought St. James Flake based on this review alone!
Ha! All reviews are valuable, as all tastes are different!

Regarding the Lakeland aspect, I get absolutely none! It’s 100% safe for those who fear the flower! :)

I HATED Lakelands at the start of my pipe adventure, but then had Grasmere and that was one I really really enjoyed.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Ha! All reviews are valuable, as all tastes are different!

Regarding the Lakeland aspect, I get absolutely none! It’s 100% safe for those who fear the flower! :)

I HATED Lakelands at the start of my pipe adventure, but then had Grasmere and that was one I really really enjoyed.
Keep on exploring them light Lakelands, faint floral side note complements nicely dark fired kentukies and stowed virginias

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Paul, now that I read this, I think, I want to try a milder flavoured Lakeland some day - What would be good one to start with? Thanks!
Dear Mister,as for as those 'traditional British offerings go,firts off i must say these type of tobaccos are something like an acquired taste,once you get used to them you're gonna have gravings for them, secundo,in order to keep my pipes out of serious' ghosting issues I prefer lighter Lakeland offerings,and third if one gets seriously into Lakeland blends then it might turn out eventually that other tobaccies start tasting almost nothing similarly when one continuously smokes blends heavy on latakia,but as far what I could suggest as for good starters are like following, G&H Glengarry flake,Rich Dark Spring Dew,Condor Long cut,Brown Flake unscented and scented as well yet Brown Flake nro 2,and Finally a pseudo lakeland the all-mighty St Bruno Ready Rubbed and flake version, Hope I could have bee of some help here

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My entry into Lakelands was with what has become my favorite tobacco, GHC Dark Flake U/S. Though nominally unscented, there is a touch of floral essence that comes through from puff to puff. The perfect amount for regular smoking, IMO. If you like strong tobacco (as in as strong as anything widely available), I highly recommend it. A tick up from that in terms of scenting is Conniston Cut Plug. Also quite strong, and not an every day smoke for me, but excellent.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks to you, Paul and Dani! Now I am warned and not less curious as before. This was both very helpful. High N is appreciated, by the way. So I'll look out for the recommendations of yours the next time, I'll shop for tobaccos. I'f it turns out, that I like these, I have at least a rational reason to get a new pipe, considering the dangers of ghosting.

There used to be a Lakeland rating thread but I can not fine it for the life of me! It would be good to add some of this input on that page as well!
If I remember, I think @jaytex969 had started it!

Thanks also for that reminder. I guess this is the thread, you're referring to:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
For Lakelands I agree with the GH&C Dark Flake Unscented recommendation but it is some strong stuff. I would also recommend GH&C Kendal Flake. After that I'd recommend a small step up with GH&C Kendal Dark.

I don't smoke the Kendal Dark very often and it does leave my tongue feeling a bit funny afterwards but overall it's enjoyable when the mood strikes. I don't see me going much beyond this though in terms of Lakelands. I've got some Bob's Chocolate Flake that I haven't tried yet too.

I have a little of the Dark Flake Scented which is good but I much prefer the Unscented version. I've got several boxes of the Unscented cellared but I won't cellar the Scented.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Thanks to you, Paul and Dani! Now I am warned and not less curious as before. This was both very helpful. High N is appreciated, by the way. So I'll look out for the recommendations of yours the next time, I'll shop for tobaccos. I'f it turns out, that I like these, I have at least a rational reason to get a new pipe, considering the dangers of ghosting.

Thanks also for that reminder. I guess this is the thread, you're referring to:

Yes!! I could not find it, for the life of me!

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
“Fire-blackened marshmallow, beef stock, and old library book”

Holy cow. Thanks for the interesting review. Always wanted to try it, never pulled the trigger on a tin when I’ve had a chance.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.