Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014

As can be seen in the above photo, my supply of St. James Flake has a fair amount of age on it (5+ years?). This tobacco is a good amount lighter in color when fresh, and darkens considerably with time. As the color changes, the taste sweetens and deepens.

The tin note is deep, sweet, and very similar to Esoterica Stonehaven to my nose. It does not exhibit any of the usual or expected Virginia qualities (grass, citrus, hay, etc.), but the Perique does give off a very rich and dark stewed fruit note. There is also an underlying natural vanilla scent.

As is to be expected for tobaccos from Samuel Gawith, the tobacco needed to dry for about an hour after being rubbed out, to ensure an easy light and burn.

While a 1968 Tanshell is pictured in the photo above, I loaded up my MarTelo Swan Neck pipe for this assessment, as it is the most flavor-revealing smoker in my collection.

The tobacco loaded easily into the bowl, and took the first match without an issue. The slightest pull of current through the stem brought mouthfuls of smoke, neither harsh nor hot.

Fire-blackened marshmallow, beef stock, and old library book. Wow! Try to imagine those flavors in all their intensity, yet treating the palate very delicately.

Further down the bowl, the tobacco sweetens immensely, and finally some classic Virginia flavors begin to appear, but in exaggerated forms. A bit of hay, some breadiness, then dark chocolate-dipped orange zest...even hints of celery?!

Adjusting the puffing cadence determines the flavor experience. Lightly keeping the ember alive brings out leather, vanilla and citrus, while long, deep draws bring out strong black tea flavors.

Like all Gawith flakes I’ve experienced, the tobacco burns to a talc-fine ash, and requires periodic bowl-dumpings to keep the airflow going. Tamping this ash down suffocates the bowl.

The room note is reminiscent of the smell of just-kindled forest twigs, which is good for me, but may not be pleasing to company.

I don’t have to recommend this one, as it’s always out of stock and clearly does not need another cheerleader. I am, however, surprised that this is as popular as it is amongst VaPer smokers, because in my opinion, this doesn’t really fit in with other VaPer staples such as Escudo, Luxury Navy Flake, etc.

St. James Flake is like a mud-covered rope bridge through a damp cave that leads from Escudo to Old Dark Fired.

Thoroughly enjoyable and very pleasant!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks, gents! I know there must be countless reviews of SJF out there, but I am finally to the point where I don’t make any more “mistakes” as a smoker, and can experience each tobacco the way the blender intended it to be experienced. I figured now was a good time to get my thoughts down.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Enjoyed the review. I like this one too, though I haven't had any aged. I suspect I'd agree that this ages sensationally. Fresh batches have a wonderful tin note. Tart like all Gawith VAs, but with a bit of spice, almist like cinnamon. I usually don't care much about tin notes, but I love to sniff this one!

Next time I see a box available, think I'll pick it up and weigh out 4 separate lots of 50g to jar and test at various ages. The remaining 50g for imnediate consumption, of course.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
What a review! Very nice. Now I feel like my reviews go in the “Dick and Jane” section ?

What’s the Lakeland like? Heavy, light? @BROBS has convinced me to give Lakelands another try so I may end up joining the club. Hey, I almost went and bought St. James Flake based on this review alone!
It's not very lakelandy to me and definitely worth a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.