Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
My first ever tins of FVF arrived today (stoked!), have a few other different SG tins en route. Right away these things do not seem sealed too well. I couldn’t help myself and popped a tin to throw in a mason, the lid just lifted right off. I’m used to Mac Baren tins I have to pry with a dang screwdriver, you can hear the suction when the seal pops. I’m going to reinforce the lids with some foil tape to make sure they’re, airtight but I’m wondering if this is a common issue with SG tins?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
From what I've heard on here, I think it's an issue with square/rectangular tins in general. Seems they are prone to seal failure, whereas circular tins don't have this problem. I happen to have only the latter, so I don't really think about this too much myself. I hear ya on the MacB tins though--"Insert quarter and twist" my ass! I need a damn shoehorn to get the lid off sometimes.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Whatever you do I would advise against sealing the entire tin in a mylar bag. The tins leak and the moisture from the blend will cause the tins to rust in due time. Out of the dozens of various blends I had sealed in mylar the SG and MacBaren suffered from the rusting. Not a big deal to most, but figured I'd mention it just in case.

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
I’ve dated the handful of tins that have arrived so far back to April ‘21. All 4 seals are broken, I can smell the tobacco along the lid. Check your tins if you've placed orders with this most recent drop. Will foil tape be adequate or should I jar the stuff?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Does the lid actually pop off? Or just aroma of the tobacco?

Just an aroma is normal for any tin that not the C&D style cans. They aren’t 100% perfect regardless of manufacturer but they do hold the seal/pressure.

The failure is when you pick it up and the lid comes off.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
Does the lid actually pop off? Or just aroma of the tobacco?

Just an aroma is normal for any tin that not the C&D style cans. They aren’t 100% perfect regardless of manufacturer but they do hold the seal/pressure.

The failure is when you pick it up and the lid comes off.
If I lift them up by the lid they won’t come off, but the ease of popping one for the first time is close to open one that’s already been opened. Comparing the smell of this to my tins of MB ODF for example. Sure if they’re in the drawer for months I can smell ambient tobacco when I open the drawer, but smelling the tins themselves I get nothing. This is like smelling a previously opened tin. It’s such a notable difference in seal quality compared to my other tins where you can literally see the suction ??‍♂️

I go through my square and rectangle tins occasionally, and try to pry the lid off by hand, and :::knock on wood::: so far, I haven't found a seal compromised. But, I imagine it is possible.

I have grabbed tins at the Briary, only to get into my truck and have the lid come off, but these were round... and, I just chocked it up to some other customer compromising the seal... so I just smoked it. YMMV

Reactions: fireground_piper

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yes, a known problem (new tin supplier) unfortunately. I believe it is sorted now though.

Current release features new new tins - label redesigned and lip is sealed with shrink wrap/cellophane. Of the 10 tins I just received, 2 out of 10 appear the have vacuum suction. I'm not taking any chances and jarring them up - I'd have to remove the shrinkwrap to test the lid, anyway.

They could make this easier by just releasing lots and lots of boxes of the blends.

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
Current release features new new tins - label redesigned and lip is sealed with shrink wrap/cellophane. Of the 10 tins I just received, 2 out of 10 appear the have vacuum suction. I'm not taking any chances and jarring them up - I'd have to remove the shrinkwrap to test the lid, anyway.

They could make this easier by just releasing lots and lots of boxes of the blends.
Yup yup, this is what I got. Ehhh time to buy more glass.

Reactions: fireground_piper

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
On topic but not really.... Does anyone know when the SG tins and boxes will be available on the major online retailers? Specifically SP,TP,4N and watch city

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
On topic but not really.... Does anyone know when the SG tins and boxes will be available on the major online retailers? Specifically SP,TP,4N and watch city
We’re in the middle of it dude. ~1 month ago someone here mentioned a drop coming in “a couple weeks”, they were about two weeks off.