PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigIrish1

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Just received a 250g box of Samuel Gawith "Brown #4 Finest Kendal Twist" from a reputable dealer who advertises here. There was a full roll that had mold all over it. The dealer was great...instant refund, but I’m wondering if others are having issues with this new drop of tobacco or is this a one off?

Last edited by a moderator:

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Just received a 250g box of Samuel Gawith "Brown #4 Finest Kendal Twist" from a reputable dealer who advertises here. There was a full roll that had mold all over it. The dealer was great...instant refund, but I’m wondering if others are having issues with this new drop of tobacco or is this a one off?
I've never had an issue, but there's increased risk with tobacco that doesn't contain humectants, like Gawith.

Is it perhaps because the vendor is in a highly humid climate?

Reactions: anotherbob
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've never had an issue, but there's increased risk with tobacco that doesn't contain humectants, like Gawith.

Is it perhaps because the vendor is in a highly humid climate?
Someone else mentioned mold in their Brown No 4, and that at least one vendor is popping tins to check before mailing them out. I have a tin on the way. I’ll be popping mine on arrival to scope it out.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Pretty sure Ernie Q from Watch City Cigar was having this problem with the most recent shipment. He talked about it on another forum.

(Also tin lids popping off seems to be a current problem)

I just bought 1 kilo of The Mayor's St. James and 1 kilo of Full Virginia Flake so I will def. let you know.....

Somebody started a thread about some mold on some Kendall Cream a day or so ago. Might wanna check that out?

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I had moldy Kendal Cream, but my Chocolate Flake was fine. Ernie refunded me right away, and seemed unsurprised by the issue, so I’m thinking that it’s been a common occurrence. Too bad!

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

BigIrish1

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
I had moldy Kendal Cream, but my Chocolate Flake was fine. Ernie refunded me right away, and seemed unsurprised by the issue, so I’m thinking that it’s been a common occurrence. Too bad!
Mine was Watch City also, and Ernie was great. Seems like this is a nightmare for him. I agree that the issue is most likely with Gawith and everyone shoul be checking this drop closely from any vendor.

On a positive note, Watch City deserves high praise for their handling of this issue. It’s my first time ordering with them, but I will defiantly be a continued customer.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I suppose if they are in totally sealed tins, it's irrelevant where the vendor is, like I suggested before.
I had a moldy tin of Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake purchased pre-COVID from the previous shipment. I also recently purchased a tin of Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Black Cherry form the last shipment and it arrived popped.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Mine was Watch City also, and Ernie was great. Seems like this is a nightmare for him. I agree that the issue is most likely with Gawith and everyone shoul be checking this drop closely from any vendor.

On a positive note, Watch City deserves high praise for their handling of this issue. It’s my first time ordering with them, but I will defiantly be a continued customer.

my first experience, too, and I’m really happy with their response and Ernie deserves a high five.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Samuel Gawith (250 gm box) mold problems start after the 2018 production date.I personally stopped buying Samuel Gawith tobacco in 250gm boxes in 2018.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
2014 G.H. "Dark Plug" sugar crystals
LfUuKfFl.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wyfbane and Jwebb90

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Such a shame - would agree it's likely a Samuel Gawith issue. I received boxes of BBF and FVF today with June '20 box codes and no mold to speak of. The FVF is a tad moist, but nothing untoward. They're setting in jars and I'll do a visual inspection every few months to ensure I'm not getting anything fuzzy growing in there. Got a few more boxes showing up tomorrow.

Fortunately, I held off on the ropes this time. I like them, but after seeing the mold issues, won't be grabbing any more for a while.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
2/5 of the Sam Gawith 250g boxes i've purchased were moldy when I opened them, and they were all from the same major/reputable dealer. 2 were FVF, and 3 were BBF. I just order tins from overseas now.

Status
Not open for further replies.