PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Excellent pics. Love to see old artisanal production. And that reminds me, once again, that I need to find out where in the hell I can get Samuel Gawith snuff. I have been a fan of their tobacco since the very first time I tried Full Virginia Flake.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Packing a bowl of Full Virginia Flake right now...all those pics got me going.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
And that reminds me, once again, that I need to find out where in the hell I can get Samuel Gawith snuff
You will not find more... vintage and historic snuff.
In a 2003 interview with Bob Gregory, manager of Samuel Gawith, he reveals that "The machinery for snuff is from 1760. It was bought in 1792 from the army, from machines used to mill gunpowder during the wars against Napoleon."
About the machines for pipe tobacco, "almost all machinery is over 150 years old, including the ones used to cut the flakes.

We weight the tobacco in scales over 100 years old.

All blends' recipes are more than a century old."

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Very cool...I've got to say the pictures of the fully formed plugs aging in the warehouse had me absolutely beside myself (the stack of Balkan Flake is now my desktop background). Man, what I would give for a couple of those...and ten minutes on the snuff side of the factory with a broom and dustpan...

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Did anyone else get excited by all of the pre-cut plugs for the various flakes? I want just a few of those for my cellar....
-Jason

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Nifty. That's some old machinery there.
Makes me appreciate my SG tobaccos all the more.
Seriously, pictures like this make $12 a tin or so seem very reasonable.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Did anyone else get excited by all of the pre-cut plugs for the various flakes? I want just a few of those for my cellar....
I am still trying to recover from the ultimate case of TAD after seeing that!!!!!!!
SG blends are very prominent in my cellar and this makes me feel like I will need more!!! :lol:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I won't be greedy. I'd take two of those brick of the FVF, one of the Bracken, one of St. James, two Cob (1792 for those who don't know), two Best Brown, and one of he that "Blackbeard" one which seems to be a VA/Lat Navy Flake. That's all. :rofl:
-Jason

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I am a lucky one, have visited the factory on many occasions, I used to climb in the mountains of the Lake District and used to just pop in when I was up there and always made welcome, one thing the Photos can't provide is the smell of the place, every pipesters dream, Gawith Hoggarths factory is just down the road from Samuel Gawiths and worth a visit, same old methods and and very friendly people.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks for sharing ! Cool pics indeed. I'll have to add this place to my list of places to visit whenever I'm over there again.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I just put all those pictures along with Translations done by my wife on my Facebook lol
http://www.facebook.com/grant.hubert.7

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I keep on thinking about those pictures. I spent an hour today manually inputting the captions underneath each picture into Google Translate. Where the hell is my babelfish?
-Jason

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Morning folks - I just found this thread via Google, and as a newbie I found it fascinating. So, I'm bumping it for other newbs and members who haven't yet seen it.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Tobakenist, you must have been reading my mind regarding the olfactory overload that one would experience while stepping back through time inside those walls. As someone who's enjoyed the many blends, ropes, flakes and plugs as well as the nasal snuff produced there, I was captivated by the very old looking "scent" jars used for the perpetration of the nasal snuff. A fantastic photographic tour and a perfect way to enjoy my first bowl of the day.
I think I'll be hitting the B&M this weekend for some SL and Balkan Flake!

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I want to try that Squadron Leader Special Edition! Too bad they only made 500 tins of it in 2008 for the Chicago pipe show.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Since this is bumped, here's two more Samuel Gawith factory pictorials.
http://lohandbehold.com/2011/03/17/samuel-gawith-factory-visit/
http://www.pfeife-tabak.de/Artikel/Reiseberichte/Gawith/gawith.html (in German)

Reactions: JPremo
Status
Not open for further replies.