PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I just completed a trade, and in it, received three tins of Samuel Gawith Black xx.
Just popped a tin, the second in my life, and couldn't stop grinning as I beheld the oily turds in the tin before me. My coworkers looked over and laughed, gave a whiff and wrinkled their nose, but hey, more for me. And don't get me wrong, I like to share.
For all the complaints about how hard this stuff is to prepare and pack, it's easy as pie for me. And I have problems with even the driest and simplest shag cuts. I just snip off coins with a cigar cutter about as thick as a nickel, rub it into a wet, greasy ribbon, and load it nice and loose in one smooth motion. One quick charring light, and it burns all the way down to the heel with no relights, and the most beautifully consistent flavor.
While I disagree with most of the sentiments about packing and preparation, I agree with almost all of the flavor descriptions. Charred barbecue, motor oil, damp earth, maduro cigar, and a creamy sweetness that sticks to the palate like glue and is resistant to any attempts to get rid of it before it fades on its own hours after finishing the bowl. I have a bowl of Commonwealth ready to go, but just can't bring myself to light it and alter this finish. I don't understand how people can list these flavors as reasons they don't like it, but then again, I feel the same way about the people who don't like latakia because 'it tastes like a campfire'. How could that be a bad thing?
Most of my favorite pipe blends and cigars have that in common. I love a smoke with a distinct texture, and more mineral and earth-forward flavors. The Arturo Fuente Anejo is my favorite cigar for the same reason. It's been a few months since I finished my first tin of Black xx, and this one is just as wonderful as I remember that one being. There's just nothing I've had that comes close.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I feel the same way about the people who don't like latakia because 'it tastes like a campfire'. How could that be a bad thing?
It's too overdone in too many blends.
It's been a few months since I finished my first tin of Black xx, and this one is just as wonderful as I remember that one being. There's just nothing I've had that comes close.

I have several pounds of it from 2014 and it retains its flavor well. Try mixing it 50/50 with Old Dark Fired.

The first thing I ask when looking for cigars, is "which one of these chokes the burliest men that have ever come in?" This is how I ended up with a humidor full of Chupacabras, GTO Anesthesias, and Kentucky Dark Fire sticks. I love the dark strong oils spill sticks... love 'em.

I never cellar'd this rope, but I have smoked through a few feet of it. It is tasty, but I didn't find enough nicotine in this one to merit the stashing.

Nice review!!

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I have several pounds of it from 2014 and it retains its flavor well. Try mixing it 50/50 with Old Dark Fired.

I have some ODF in my backpack right now, I can try that today. Thanks for the tip!
I have had great results mixing 50/50 with Gawith latakia, and also enjoyed equal parts Brown Bogie, Black xx, and Latakia

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Just burned my second bowl of it, and again, just one relight and almost no dottle at the end, with no drying time at all. Not a whisper of bite or burn, and to my surprise, I even got a compliment on the room note. I don't usually care about room note, but it's always good to know that your favorite tobacco is agreeable to bystanders. Next I'm gonna try to stack the coins rather than rub them out, to see if I can coax out even more flavor

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Now you need to try the Brown Rope. I bought a tin once and the nicotine level knocked me flat shortly after the charring light.
I love the brown rope, and the higher nicotine is definitely a draw, but I just prefer the flavors of the black xx. The brown rope just doesnt have the same thick, oily flavor & texture

Reactions: ofafeather

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Next I'm gonna try to stack the coins rather than rub them out, to see if I can coax out even more flavor
Update: Trying this now, and it's burning slower but a bit hotter than when rubbed out. There's definitely more pepper and it tastes a bit more cigar-like, but other than that, there's not too much more flavor. I think I'll stick to rubbing it. Maybe next I'll try to just cut a plug and leave it in the 'wrapper' and stick it in the pipe like a cigar.

Reactions: ofafeather

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Oily turds. Lol.

Good review. I dabbled with (G&H) Brown Bogie and that was the only time I have literally gotten nic-sick. Had to lay down and take a 2 hour nap to stop the world form spinning. I always imagined this was the same or worse.

Easy to underestimate the nicotine in that stuff. Dark Flake Unscented is danger zone, as well.

Both were delicious and reminiscent of a good Nicaraguan cigars. Love em.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I had my first bowl the other day. I haven’t made up my mind about it. I was both intrigued and ready to dump it at the same time, and it stayed that way all the way through the bowl. ?‍♂️ I guess it was more interesting than gross or else I wouldn’t have finished it, but I need to give it another go. The nicotine level wasn’t as strong as I thought it would be, but was noticeable. Along the same lines as 1792 Flake. I wasn’t super crazy about the stale cooking oil taste, but it came and went in waves, and when it was absent, it was not a bad tasting smoke.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I enjoy the black twist as a change of pace but maybe smoke it once or twice a year. I much prefer the brown twist to the black, the brown has some proper nicotine and is a much fuller smoke in my opinion. That being said, I may break some black twist out tonight for a revisit.

Status
Not open for further replies.