PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I'm going to give this one a run tonight. First time trying it. Cut thin coins with a cigar cutter this morning and letting it dry for a bit. I'll rub it out this time and stack later on.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm going to give this one a run tonight. First time trying it. Cut thin coins with a cigar cutter this morning and letting it dry for a bit. I'll rub it out this time and stack later on.

It's good stuff but I think its even better mixed. I usually toss in some Latakia and Black Cherry but it makes almost any solo flavored blend better by giving it depth and richness.

Reactions: timt

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
To everyone pre-slicing and drying your Black XX, I HIGHLY recommend smoking it straight off the rope. It's difficult, you will need about a dozen warning lights, and you'll be relighting frequently until you get the proper packing technique and cadence down, but in my opinion this blend loses what makes it so good if it's not smoked straight after slicing off a fresh rope. That oily, palate-coating texture isn't as pronounced when it's had time to air out, and it loses a few notches off of the depth and complexity.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
To everyone pre-slicing and drying your Black XX, I HIGHLY recommend smoking it straight off the rope. It's difficult, you will need about a dozen warning lights, and you'll be relighting frequently until you get the proper packing technique and cadence down, but in my opinion this blend loses what makes it so good if it's not smoked straight after slicing off a fresh rope. That oily, palate-coating texture isn't as pronounced when it's had time to air out, and it loses a few notches off of the depth and complexity.
I had decent luck by slicing it extremely thin with a very sharp knife, and rubbing it out into a fine shag. I still can’t decide whether I like it or not, but I didn’t have too much trouble lighting it or keeping it lit.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I once had a bowl of Black XX and must say that this kind of jack-tar stuff is not my cup of tea.

Well, to each their own, but what really sucked about it was that it ghosts like hell. I had smoked it in a lovely Jeppesen and could still taste it after the next 10 smokes in the same pipe.

So if you like it but not so much that you want everything to taste like it, make sure to designate the pipe to it!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
but in my opinion this blend loses what makes it so good if it's not smoked straight after slicing off a fresh rope. That oily, palate-coating texture isn't as pronounced when it's had time to air out, and it loses a few notches off of the depth and complexity.
YES!!! Someone else who gets it... ?

Reactions: blues4goose
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Having my second bowl of this now. This time in my meer. Tastes much better this go ‘round. Actually tastes like tobacco, Virginias even! ? The first time, it tasted like cardboard and old cooking oil, but this is good. I still think I like Brown #4 better though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For folks in the know, how do GH Black Irish X compare to compare to SG Black XX? Two peas in a pod? Or different enough to justify trying both?
They are very very different. Just because you like one does not mean you’ll like the other. If the Brown Twist is day than the Black is night.

LBT

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
Central Oregon
I HIGHLY recommend smoking it straight off the rope. It's difficult, you will need about a dozen warning lights, and you'll be relighting frequently until you get the proper packing technique and cadence down, but in my opinion this blend loses what makes it so good if it's not smoked straight after slicing off a fresh rope. That oily, palate-coating texture isn't as pronounced when it's had time to air out, and it loses a few notches off of the depth and complexity.

Really appreciate you circling back and clarifying this point - have done exactly that, and agree it's a superior smoke.

Lee

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It took me 10 years to tame that wild beast, Black Irish X. Once done I went forth to bring down its Brown progenitor, which I only partially subdued, never publicly admitting that it was too strong for this warrior of strength.

At the close of my career I had smoked five times as much of the Black than the Brown. Like you my initial take had not been favorable, and thus it is not surprising that some of you are ambivalent in the same way I was. I would smoke it once a month and renew my dissatisfied dissatisfaction only to circle back once again. But with each encounter I befriended it a little more, deciding after 5 years to include it in my rotation, that virtual list that includes favored core tobaccos and outliers on their way in or out.

I don't think that it is its dark flavor that takes time for the palate to grasp but the baked oil. There's nothing that tastes like the Black perhaps because no other tobacco is so baked? Not that I know of. It took about 5 years to not be put off by the taste of machine oil and instead to concentrate on this tobacco at hand, a symphony of complexity at the core of potent darkness.

travis

Lurker
Nov 29, 2014
Give this a try a while back. I must be a light-weight, the nic-hit did me in. Mixing it with something bland could be the answer. Great review.

Status
Not open for further replies.