Samuel E. Gawith v. Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Hello all,

I recently purchased some Chocolate Flake from the former of the two. Can anyone tell me if there is any relation between them? I keep thinking there is, but I had to be sure.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Are you asking if GH Bob's Chocolate Flake is identical to SG Chocolate Flake?

Reactions: BROBS

stuart

Lurker
Jun 9, 2015
Hi, I haven't tried them both as yet but believe one is more of a dark chocolate (GH) and the other slightly more aromatic less intense chocolate and with additional notes including vanilla (SG), will wait for further info from others.
Good to know about the merger although not sure it will be to the extent of combining a cocktail of blends :), I do appreciate the link though which looks interesting and will take a read.

Reactions: Lawyer66

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've smoked a fair amount of Bob's Flake but only one tin of the Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake. I've bought BCF in bulk exclusively. BCF varies from batch to batch in my experience. Some batches have more chocolate flavor than others. Overall, I found the Sam Gawith to be different than the Bob's Flake. Both are enjoyable to my taste.

Mike S.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Now that their merger has been clarified for me, it would be nice to know if there is any similarity between the two blends.
There is no similarity between the two blends, in my opinion. Bob's Chocolate Flake is one of my favorites and I also recommend Two Friends English Chocolate. I get ZERO chocolate from Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake though.

For more details on the differences between the blends and chocolate-flavored tobacco in general, please see the following threads:

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Yep, totally different blends. Bob's, for example, is tasty and not a pain in the ass to smoke.puffy

• Haha
Reactions: dcon

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Yep, totally different blends. Bob's, for example, is tasty and not a pain in the ass to smoke.puffy

I do prefer Bob's because to me it has more of a chocolate flavor and just generally tastes better. Thinking about it makes me want to go light up a bowl. But alas, I can't because I'm at work. :cry:

But I definitely would not turn down a bowl of SG Chocolate Flake :sher:.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I like them both, but Bob’s is the winner. The chocolate/Lakeland/? topping is just bonkers and unique and delicious. Room note is A+, too. The topping comes through the smoke but doesn’t overpower and works some kind of magic that’s all it’s own. The Latakia is just hardly noticeable.

SG stuff is much different. Still a great smoke on its own, but the topping is less dominant. I still get hints of chocolate here and there but it’s a much more straightforward blend. Not much if any of that indescribable “Lakeland” essence. I can taste the Latakia a little more in this one, but it’s still hardly there. A tasty smoke, for sure.

There’s no replacing Bob’s, in other words. It lives in a world of its own.

Reactions: python
Status
Not open for further replies.