PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@herbinedave: I have to agree with you...but to be honest, I didn't even realize that WalMart owned Sam's Club. I've never set foot in a SC, and it's been a long time since I've been in a WM...and I'll never go there again either.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@photoman13: Yeah, they've certainly got the game rigged to a great extent. Best you can do, depending on where you live, is just try to avoid it as much as possible.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I guess so, but I don't really see them as an evil corporation. Just a place that sells cheap crap.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@photoman13: I could only encourage you to do some deeper research on the subject. There is a pretty good documentary out there called, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price for starters.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I had one of my econ professors go on a rant about walmart. They drive out smaller, local businesses. They have low prices, but they come at the cost of other peoples jobs

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I actually have done plenty of research. I actually have a business degree and it was talked about quite a bit. I do agree that they kill a lot of small businesses by offering lower prices. I do prefer to shop at other places. But the fact remains they are simply a retailer who has power based on quantity bought. Honestly I don't think this is the time or place for the discussion though. Lets all just smoke a few bowls and talk baccy! :D

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Discussions here do not have to be strictly limited to pipes & baccy...but if someone is not interested in any particular subject or conversation they don't have to participate. I responded to hebinedave's comment and then you responded to me, so I responded back. No biggee...it's all voluntary. It's just a discussion...I don't see what the time and place issue is. But...whatever.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I just don't see the point of dragging things on and on. The initial question here is tobacco related. And yes this is filed under general pipe smoking discussion. There is a separate section for general discussion. I am not a very confrontational person (troll). I don't want you to think me so, at least lol. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. Also for all who read my comments please forgive me. I am terrible at english and grammer lol.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Agree with your statement completely Herbinedave! Living in the rural US we literally have a Walmart, Mcdonalds, and a gas station. Quality is terrible but at the same time most people out here can't afford quality.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@photoman13: You do have a good point that this post was originally started under general pipe smoking...I agree, and my apologies as well.
@herbinedave: Very good points.
I will refrain from commenting any further because it would require too much detail to really flesh out the issues. It's really all part of a much bigger picture, imo.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
If you buy almost any piece of electronic equipment then you're putting money into China's pocket. Most articles of clothing are either going to China or Pakistan. It's just the way the global economy works. I read somewhere not too long ago that Apple has a $500,000 annual profit per person it employs, guess where Ipads, Iphones, Ietc are manufactured...If you want to buy all American then that's awesome and I commend you for it, but it's going to cost you a pretty penny as well as quite a bit of time researching things because a lot of times, even if something is made in the US the materials are still purchased from overseas companies. And then a lot of times the parts are sent overseas for materials. And even then, if everything is done in the US many times things like the metal dies for the molds are bought in China because they're so much cheaper. It's very difficult to buy all American these days.

My primary bash on Wal-Mart is because their pricing leads to inferior products. IE they tell a company how much they will pay for a product, if the company wants to sell to them then they have to match that price, which often mean selling for less than the product costs to make, which means they have to buy cheaper materials in order to have a presence in the largest retail outlet in the world. This can also be a point of contention for smaller businesses...but I digress.

I've never seen pipe tobacco in a Sam's :) I don't even remember Wal-Mart having it when I worked the cigarette counter in highschool, although that was over a decade ago so my memory could be fuzzy ;)

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
BTW, just finished the whole thread (should have done that before I typed a book about it :) Sorry to rehash. But I did address the OP as well :D

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Agree with your statement completely Herbinedave! Living in the rural US we literally have a Walmart, Mcdonalds, and a gas station. Quality is terrible but at the same time most people out here can't afford quality.
Clean sheets mean a lot to a guy who sleeps on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.