PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
It's literally the edges of the block cut off from heat pressing. It hasn't gone through further processing, but being on the edges means that it's been processed differently from the rest of the block because it's where the tobacco is touching the hot metal. And it is distinctly different, and we think it's rather good.
Sykes what Peterson were you smoking in this video? Was it the 317?

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Good news (apart from Burnt Ends) is that FVF boxes are back in stock. I grabbed 8oz for $45, which is a significant discount compared to the 25 pounds I paid for one tin in Oxford UK back in Sept.
Also wanted to note that the Burnt Ends were selling for $38/box when I was able to see them in stock. Is this correct? So they weren't asking premium prices, it was actually a discount compared to FVF at $45.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
The two entities are one and the same.

Currently, yes. But only for a handful of years (hardly any, compared against the lifespans of the companies). More importantly, they were not together at the time of ingredient sourcing or recipe writing.

I'm sure some 'efficiencies' are/will be taking effect (otherwise, why merge?) but I believe her when she says a G&H blend cannot be a re-branded SG blend or visa versa.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Currently, yes. But only for a handful of years (hardly any, compared against the lifespans of the companies). More importantly, they were not together at the time of ingredient sourcing or recipe writing.

I'm sure some 'efficiencies' are/will be taking effect (otherwise, why merge?) but I believe her when she says a G&H blend cannot be a re-branded SG blend or visa versa.
Why not?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com

I admit it's supposition, but I would think that seeing as pensioner's mix and full virginia flake were developed independently, based on different sources of ingredients, by two at the time separate companies, that they can still be considered different.

If they were very close to each other in flavor or composition, I would think G&H would rather drop the SG version than risk the ire of you lot by putting one blend into two tins.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The two entities are one and the same.
external-content-duckduckgo-com-jpg.72921

Here's a pre-merger picture of Sam Gawith's presses. I would not want to smoke any of its floor sweepings from that era. As a product of the 3rd world, this reminds me of the 3rd world except the 3rd world is cleaner. The picture is from here: Samuel Gawith, reportaje fotografico de Marcelino Piquero - https://rinconpipa.foroactivo.com/t3239-samuel-gawith-reportaje-fotografico-de-marcelino-piquero

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Surely you can imagine there are commercial and legal complications and considerations that might be outside your awareness that prevent it.
They want to make money and I suspect they’re doing what they can with what they have.