36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Absolutely, Alaskan wild caught is the healthier choice from my research.View attachment 143948
Tips on cooking the frozen, individually wrapped filets?

I'd like to try them, but getting the defrost/thaw down and still wanting to make the fish seems difficult for me (since I'm not a big fish eater, but want to eat more filets).

Time permitting, I intend on making my own gravlox with a seemingly foolproof recipe. Lox with capers, onions, and a rope tomatoes on a bagel with cream cheese is my favorite breakfast.

Reactions: Zero
Tips on cooking the frozen, individually wrapped filets?

I'd like to try them, but getting the defrost/thaw down and still wanting to make the fish seems difficult for me (since I'm not a big fish eater, but want to eat more filets).

Time permitting, I intend on making my own gravlox with a seemingly foolproof recipe. Lox with capers, onions, and a rope tomatoes on a bagel with cream cheese is my favorite breakfast.
I never buy frozen. Usually they are skin off. That said I am open to learning AND new things esp if it makes life easier and more importantly...tastier!!!! :). I miss the days I used to live in Michigan and could go out and catch wild Kings Coho and Steelhead on the weekends :( FRESH MEATS!!!!

• Love

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I've read that skin on is where most of the nutritional value is. How I go about it is filling up a large bowl with cold water, remove the salmon from the vacuum packaging, place in a Ziploc bag and then I will submerse the bag into the water until all the air has escaped before sealing it ( I don't allow water into the bag). I give it about 20 minutes more or less, and periodically check on how pliable it is before removing. The defrosting buys me time to mince up some garlic cloves, chop an onion, and prepare my baking pan. Once I remove the salmon from the bag, I will rinse it off under cold running water before placing it skin down in the pan. It's kinda funny to me as I write this, I learn and drool over your guys posts?Cheers!

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I never buy frozen. Usually they are skin off. That said I am open to learning AND new things esp if it makes life easier and more importantly...tastier!!!! :). I miss the days I used to live in Michigan and could go out and catch wild Kings Coho and Steelhead on the weekends :( FRESH MEATS!!!!

I grew up on bass and crappie that my dad and I caught in IN.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've read that skin on is where most of the nutritional value is. How I go about it is filling up a large bowl with cold water, remove the salmon from the vacuum packaging, place in a Ziploc bag and then I will submerse the bag into the water until all the air has escaped before sealing it ( I don't allow water into the bag). I give it about 20 minutes more or less, and periodically check on how pliable it is before removing. The defrosting buys me time to mince up some garlic cloves, chop an onion, and prepare my baking pan. Once I remove the salmon from the bag, I will rinse it off under cold running water before placing it skin down in the pan. It's kinda funny to me as I write this, I learn and drool over your guys posts?Cheers!
Thank you.

Your approach is similar to a cold water thaw, which is the fastest method I know. Place large bowl in sink, place frozen meat in vacuum package or sealed bag in bowl, and run cold water over meat.

For fish, you can remove and fry the skin for a tasty chip or garnish.

Last edited: