PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Anyone been watching the World Cup? I don't normally follow rugby, but it has pulled me in. Some exciting matches so far. Sadly Scotland failed to progress from a tough group. There have been some thrilling semi finals, especially NZ vs Ireland and SA vs France. Would love to see a New Zealand vs South Africa final.

the Haka never ceases to send a shiver down my spine.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I was. I was rooting for France (and secondly, Ireland) to win it and am a bit depressed and disinterested right now. I suppose I'll be cheering for the ABs going forward. It'd be a big surprise if the Saffas and the Kiwis don't make it to the finals. I just don't see the English beating the Saffas or the Argies prevailing over the Kiwis.

Scotland was very good but it was always going to be difficult for them to get out of their pool.

Last edited:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I havent missed watching a game yet on tv.
I said elsewhere on another pipe forum ,where someone was saying France or Ireland would win and that the All Blacks were nowhere near it .Dont right off the All Blacks but I thought the Bokkes would win it.
I stand by that even as an Englishman .i cant see England beating South Africa in the semi final.

Reactions: mingc and Tate

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I enjoy watching rugby, but don't understand the game. Seems to be little more interesting than American football. It seems Kiwis are always on top now days. I remember going to rugby game back in Korean. There's annual games between Korea Univ. and Yonsei Univ.. My father graduated Korea Univ., so he was interested. He was an ice hockey player.

Reactions: mingc and Tate

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
As an Aussie I'm pretty disillusioned with our performance but I thought Fiji really are playing some pretty awesome rugby, be nice to see those boys get up.
I have an Aussie friend who lives in England and comes here to Greece a couple of times a year.I saw him the day after the Aus v Wales game and his first words to me were"do you want Eddy Jones back",my answer was no we f@8#ing dont you can keep him

You have some good players but he is doing to you what he did to England

Reactions: mingc
Jun 9, 2018
England
England nearly caused an upset. South Africa only led for the final 2½ minutes, but unfortunately for us that's the part that counts.
England left it all on the field, and you can't ask more than that.

Looking forward to the SA v NZ final, next week. Could be epic.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
My money is on the All Blacks still. Boks played to their strengths in the second half today once the rain stopped with their forwards being more physical but this won't work agains the AB's. Rain in the final will shift the outcome firmly into NZ's favour. NZ will kick to the corners and constantly turn the Boks big pack around and grind them through attrition.