Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I started with rubbing them out. Then I saw the Per Jensen video and switched to fold and stuff always. These days it depends on time of year or day or weather or pipe. If I do fold and stuff I usually fold it in half length wise then width then I hold the top together with two fingers and use my other hands to gently break up the lower portion of the leaf. This has consistently given me good smokes. It’s all what works for you though.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I've been obsessed with flake from the start. The more intact the better. If I could smoke plug, I would. But all of this is for show, as in the smoking I strike a balance between stuffing and rubbing it out, though certainly more the rub.

Reactions: orvet

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
PS Luxury Navy Flake, four flakes, about a third of an ounce.

Fill Big Boy Marxman.

View attachment 273822

Slowly twist down the flakes

View attachment 273823

Use the long pick on a pipe tool to maintain draw.

What you have is a two inch Va Per cigar inside three quarters of a century old Algerian briar.

It will not get hot, it won’t bite, it tastes delicious, and is good for two hours of ruminations.

The charge expands as it burns.

Keep your pipe tool handy.
In 30 plus years of smoking flake tobaccos, mostly Capstan Blue, I am pretty settled on the rub it out method. But your post got me curious and so I am trying your method for the first time. So far it's been a big success. It may change the way I load my pipe, depending on the flake as many of them vary in consistency. So far, so good and I'm a little over halfway through the bowl. It amazes me how well it stayed lit!

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
Once in a while I'll fold just for the hell of it but I get a better smoke by rubbing out. Besides, I enjoy the process.

Reactions: Uguccione

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
With some dense blends, like McClelland Navy Flake, I try to be meticulous with the rub-out, otherwise it can be tough to keep lit.

Reactions: seanv
I DO NOT understand this propensity towards doing what the makers intended. The makers of Coca-Cola never stated that they intended you to pour Jack Daniels into it, so stop it.
The makers of bubble gum intended for you to just chew it, stop blowing bubbles. They don't want you to.
Tobacconists also do not want you to blow smoke rings. This was never the purpose of tobacco.

In fact, if we are going to ask the real experts, why not go and ask the indigenous people who gave us tobacco in the first place how we should all be using tobacco. Like the British have any claim on being first with tobacco in any way? We should consult the Native tribes as to whether flake and plugs should even be allowed. Because these are the originators. What the hell is a white person doing giving any advice or conditions surrounding tobacco?
1704396988780.png

That all said, I rub mine out. I don't need the stresses of fiddling with a flake when all I want is to merely smoke.
Why they make them into flakes is for flavor. If you want to try two blends that are exactly the same, but taste differently because one was pressed, try GLP's Key Largo and Robusto. The only difference is that Key Largo was pressed to meld the flavors.

Why they make plugs... because you idiots will buy it up if they do. puffy

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
zE
I DO NOT understand this propensity towards doing what the makers intended. The makers of Coca-Cola never stated that they intended you to pour Jack Daniels into it, so stop it.
The makers of bubble gum intended for you to just chew it, stop blowing bubbles. They don't want you to.
Tobacconists also do not want you to blow smoke rings. This was never the purpose of tobacco.

In fact, if we are going to ask the real experts, why not go and ask the indigenous people who gave us tobacco in the first place how we should all be using tobacco. Like the British have any claim on being first with tobacco in any way? We should consult the Native tribes as to whether flake and plugs should even be allowed. Because these are the originators. What the hell is a white person doing giving any advice or conditions surrounding tobacco?
View attachment 276986

That all said, I rub mine out. I don't need the stresses of fiddling with a flake when all I want is to merely smoke.
Why they make them into flakes is for flavor. If you want to try two blends that are exactly the same, but taste differently because one was pressed, try GLP's Key Largo and Robusto. The only difference is that Key Largo was pressed to meld the flavors.

Why they make plugs... because you idiots will buy it up if they do. puffy
enjoyed your humorous post.

jediofthecode

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
France
I started with rubbing them out. Then I saw the Per Jensen video and switched to fold and stuff always. These days it depends on time of year or day or weather or pipe. If I do fold and stuff I usually fold it in half length wise then width then I hold the top together with two fingers and use my other hands to gently break up the lower portion of the leaf. This has consistently given me good smokes. It’s all what works for you though.
I tried to find this video, but can't find anywhere ? Do you have a link ? Im curious about his method.

Pipeh

Lurker
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
I tried to find this video, but can't find anywhere ? Do you have a link ? Im curious about his method.
I heard mention of that video a while back and I couldn't find it either. I found Per's instruction on how to fold and stuff spun cut coins (
), and it was so helpful to me that I really wanted to find the flake-specific video.

I kind of think it may have been linked in the following blog post: [ Video: Flake Pipe Tobacco Packing | Smokingpipes Daily Reader - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/video-flake-pipe-tobacco-packing ], but according to Sykes, SP had to take down a large portion of their videos, due to restrictions on what sellers of tobacco products can post on youtube. He said it may be possible for them to eventually repost them on vimeo, but he's been told it was a big task, so it will probably take a while.

In the meantime, I basically fold it once (or twice), and loosely slip it into the pipe. Basically like minerLuke describes:
And this kind of works for me.

Last edited:

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Interesting this thread should pop back up today as I normally always rub out my flakes. Today however I'm away from home and being away from my space forced me to be a bit more industrious in how I packed the bowl. Granted, I was smoking Escudo, so a coin and not a Flake but I opted for the fold and stuff for ease of packing and had an outstanding smoke. I may experiment more with the fold and stuff method and see what I find.

Reactions: seanv