PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I grabbed 8oz. I figured I could have grabbed a pound, but, 8oz will take me a while, and I'll open up more for others. Concerning "victorian", it is, to my tastes, lightyears ahead of Dunhill/Peterson version--never had the Murray's version. I do wonder if there is a slight top note added to the match? Regardless, I have 2lbs aging away, and I do love it.
There's no top note to Victorian. The fruit you taste is from the tobaccos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By several country miles. 👍 I smoked a lot of the old Elizabethan over the years, and I have a bunch of the match in ribbon and plug form, too.
Bruce Weaver got me hooked on the Murray's version along with Three Year Matured Virginia.

Reactions: JimInks

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Rougaroux is a very labor intensive blend to make, hence it's a special drop twice a year. Seems to me the last one, or maybe it was the one before that, actually lasted more than a day before it got bought out. It's always a guess how much to make, but it is one of WCC's best sellers.
I quite like it and have a few pounds bagged, so I have no need to buy more of it. Given the red wine in the topping, I'm doubtful that it will change very much with age, which is fine with me.
I would be remiss in not mentioning that @JimInks had a hand in developing it.

The Peterson version is identical to the Dunhill version from 2012 until they sold the rights to Peterson. Sutliff's Match is based on the Murray's version and is my favorite Virginia/Perique. I like it better than Rouxgaroux and have 20 pounds of it jarred. I'm always serious unless I use the appropriate emojis or quotation marks.
Does Match have latakia? For some reason i was under the impression you hate Latakia. Just curious as i have not tried match and i like Latakia and I looked online and found a match with Latakia.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I wouldn’t cry if you didn’t get any, and you’ve never tried it.

I bought 4 ounces in 2020 and sold it all here, I wasn’t overly impressed.

Even after mine sat for over a year the Red VAs were still overly tangy, and bite could be bad if you weren’t careful.

Ken brought back Verge Engine Overdrive in 2022, maybe there will be some this year.

I’m certainly not Jim or the top VA guy, but I can tell you, that the Verge Engine Overdrive I smoked had more complexity, was smoother, also with very nice unique floral notes in it.

I have a good tongue, and I can taste subtle notes, know how to sip and hunt around, and Rouxgaroux was what I would called a more traditional high quality Red VAPer.

Verge Engine Overdrive, on the other hand wasn’t quite as traditional, with the unique floral notes.

I found Verge Engine Overdrive to be a more unique, handcrafted, boutique blend.

WCC certainly has great blends, no disrespect here intended. :)

Sure, everyone here has different likes, but, if you can get a hold of Verge Engine Overdrive, then you can compare for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSOBUCO

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
K. I must have read the wrong description. Id like to try the sutliff match you refer to. Can u pm me a link? Sorry I don’t follow all what you veterans refer to all the time and thanks 🙏
That one's easy to find. Many of the online retailers carry it.

That one's easy to find. Many of the online retailers carry it.

Thank you @Chasing Embers !! I found it at BnB for $28 a pound!!!!! I certainly hope I like it as much as you seem to cuz that’s my kinda price point! And i was looking at Match 20 previously. Thanks again!

• Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I really like Rouxgaroux and Match Victorian, I’ve got enough of both so I didn’t order any today. They are similar but different. Match Victorian is really good too, it is what I’d imagine you’d run across mid 20th century America, if you were to go into any B&M in the country and ask for their “house” VaPer… good stuff.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Bought a pound of Rouxagrarahroux last year, still have a pound minus a couple bowls, there are a lot of VaPers that i would choose over this. I do love their Simply Red, but for VaPers I'll stick with my favs and maybe revisit last years batch i have cellared away in a few weeks.

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
Well sense all you guys love match Victorian. What did I get? I purchased one pound from P@C and it was a chocolate aromatic. Nothing like a vaper at all. I also asked them what was up and they sent me a replacement pound. Both pounds sealed in a Sutliff bag labeled “Match Victorian”. Both pounds are full of black cavendish and have a heavy chocolate aro aromas. Do I need to purchase some from another retailer?