Routine Tobacco Pipe Cleaning (With Video)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Very nice video Bob! As proof that a pipe will last with proper care, I have several estate pipes that are between 80 and a hundred years old that smoke beautifully.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Very informative Bob.

Short, sweet, and to the point.

Couple of things in there that I hadn't considered.

Thanks, I'll give your method a try.

Again, very well done.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Loved the video Bob. I am one of the guys who uses isopropyl alcohol. You can get it at regular (70%) and nearly pure (97%) at my drug store. I use the 97%. Of course isopropyl alcohol will absorb water from the air until it is about 70% concentrated, so you have to keep the cap on the bottle and work quickly, but it scours out muck really well. I'm gonna try the olive oil idea though. Thanks!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Excellent video Bob.
We should get the guy from the Richmond show to do one on how to clean your pipe cleaners by leaving them in your shirt pocket when you do laundry. LOL.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Great video Bob!
I personally prefer to use the Pipemaster's Clean & Cure because of the green tint it has. To me, this makes it easier to see how much you have on the pipe cleaner to help avoid over saturating the cleaner and having it drip off onto the finish while cleaning. I suspect the green coloring is just food coloring though :)

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Yuck!!! I slacked off of my weekly cleaning and waited two weeks to clean thoroughly... What a mess, I think I need to stick with my weekly run down.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Frank, you may not have Everclear there, some states don't allow it! Yours does... "Just ask for it by name"
If your liquor store doesn't carry Everclear, they might have the other options that are available in my state:
Gem (Much cheaper)
150px-GemClear-GrainAlcohol.jpg

Clear Spring
ClearSpring190.jpg

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Matt, you are the absolute authority on off brand cheap booze.
As a former Evan Williams junkie. I salute you.
RJ

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I want to thank you Bob,

Your recommendation for cleaning the rim works very well.

I cut through 10 years of build up in just a matter of minutes. I have birds eyes again!

I have begun to clean all of my pipes in turn, as they come through the "rotation".

(In other words when I feel like smoking it.)
Thanks again, works great!

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
As a former Evan Williams junkie. I salute you.
And I'll toast you with a glass of Old Crow.
Indeed. Old Crow is damned honest bourbon. Quite underrated.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Hello
Great job on a great pipe instructional cleaning video. However, i noticed that when rubbing extra virgin oil on my Peterson silver sterling shape 6 pipe, the dye from the wood slowly drips? Did i do something wrong?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Shotokun16, that will sometimes happen on some pipes. It will even happen if you use wax instead of Olive Oil. Some pipes just have a very thick coat of stain/dye/varnish on them and during cleaning the excess will come off.
I have a few pipes that this has happened to and they are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.