Routine Tobacco Pipe Cleaning (With Video)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
hey bob
Thanks you're right and my Peterson looks brand new! The one concern i had was using extra virgin oil method periodically could damage the varnish? im guessing not since you mentioned in the video that many pipe collectors used extra virgin oil and after my post-extra virgin oil method looks stunning. Thanks and this is my second post!
Just got into pipe smoking never smoked before, the engineering and hobby has a unique history. So i guess i just jumped on the bandwagon

frankryan

Lurker
May 16, 2010
Bob
Thanks for a great video.
I watched some others on UTUBE but this was the best visual presentation. The other videos I watched seemed to be focused more on the person giving the demo than the demo itself. Can you say 'SELF ABSORBED" much!!!
Again excellent video!
Frank

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Bob obviously did a great video that was very helpful.
In his former career he was The Unknown Comic.

0.jpg

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Some thoughts on pipe cleaning.
Pipes are like anything else you buy, the service you get from them depends largely on how well you care of them. Now I'm not one of those who buffs and polishes my pipes all the time... Thats obvious from the pics in my album... In fact, I kind of like the looks of my dull, old lookng pipes. What I'm talking about is not knocking them around, dropping them, chewing on the stems (a terrible habit!) and generally giving them a hard time. All pipes build up "slag" on the stem from your salava, and you should remove it occasionally. The trick is not to remove any stem with it. I use the dull edge of a Checz tool now and then to gently scrape it off. (Funny thing, the slag really grosses out my wife, but doesn't bother me at all.) I have pipes I've owned since the 60s, and with one exception, they all still have the original stems and are in fine shape. I don't abuse them. Pipe repairmen would starve if all smokers were like me.... But then, who wants to be like me?
p.s. congrats on the video!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I did Bob's olive oil polish trick on a couple of pipes. Now when I smoke them i get the urge to go to an Italian restaurant!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
PS. In the UK you can use Methylated Spirits (Denatured Alcohol). Ethanol is mixed with a small amount of Methanol and purple dye to make it undrinkable (you can make any conclusions you want out of that!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.