Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Mr Drysdale and Miss Jane Curtain and the town of Beverley Hills and Uncle Jed striking oil in Bug Tussle had no corollary whatsoever the lawyers for my Grandmother’s newspaper could find, in her forty years of weekly columns.

And even Bug Tussle is not a unique place name, there is a Bug Tussle Arkansas.

And as my mother used to declare, Donna Douglas played Miss Ella Mae Clampett as a cheap, dumb blonde, when she was a brunette school teacher more of the Andy Griffin’s girl friend type.:)

And so it came to pass, in those days, that my Grandmother settled threatened litigation against the producers of the Beverley Hillbillies on these terms

There would be a $400 advance order of 200 tourist size books about Ma, Pa, Sy Thomas, and Saydee (the usual characters in her comedic series) by the Beverley Hillbilles.

That my grandmother would be the sole owner of that copyright. This was important because otherwise, every column inch my grandmother had ever written belonged to her employer, the newspaper. The book was hers, alone.

And my grandfather was to receive a carton of Winston cigarettes on a recurring basis so long as the Beverly Hillbillies show ran.

I was five years old in 1963 and my grandmother was my age, 66.

And my mother, the model for Saydee (Ella Mae) and my Uncle Jiggs known as Sy Thomas (Jethro Bodine) and my grandmother Ma (Granny) and my grandfather Pa (Jed Clampett) all signed releases as part of that settlement.

My Grandmother’s 32 page book was a blockbuster local seller, the initial run of 2,000 copies selling out in a week. She made a comfortable living from sales until she died in 1980, plus kept on writing the Ma and Pa series.

As flattered as I am if I am considered a storyteller, I am the grandson of a story teller so talented she shook down the Beverly Hillbillies for all rights to use stories about Hilbillies from Bug Tussle, or Hooterville (Humansville). Against her record mine is sadly lacking.

I labor here, for pleasure , not paid even a Lee or Marxman pipe.:)

What I recommend is what I like, what I use, and what those less blessed by life than me can also easily afford.

Now, as for those Winston cigarretes in the settlement.

Pa smoked Camels, in real life, and home grown Long Green in the newspaper series.

Whenever my mother wasn’t around, it was Ma herself that smoked the Winstons,,,,,

Except for a few me and my cousin Pammy borrowed.:)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
View attachment 284769

Call me crazy.
If it's good, I'll be sure to gloat.
If it sucks, I'm mailing it all to Briar Lee.
Looks like 5.25 lbs of tobacco. What'd you pay for all that? <$70?

It's kinda like the tobacco version of ramen. Sure there are better options, but it's cheap and hits the spot. I haven't delved into the RYO world yet, but I am curious how this experiment plays out.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Whatever your sexual predilections are is none of my business, but please refrain from derisive slang usage.

And no matter what you allow to touch your pipe, just be sure to wrap that rascal.
Sorry fella but that's how I've always called them. I'm not going to change my vernacular to make someone feel better.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
One thing is for certain @Briar Lee can take an insult on the chin and not bat an eye. Never have I seen retaliation or a negative comment in response, nor does he let it stop him from being him. That is a quality we should all try to emulate.
Yeah, unless it absolutely needs a response (which hardly ever does)…if you don’t like a fellas post just scroll on and not comment. However, everyone needs something's to chew on every so often cause winter can be a long, hard, cold 🥶 bitch for some. @Briar Lee …you do you. 👍☕

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You can roll a cigarette out of anything. I have on odd occasions taken a Warrior Plug and shaved off very thin slivers that are almost translucent and rubbed it out and then rolled a cigarette from the resulting hard work. I don't do it very often since I only like 'Wheat Straw' papers from JOB and they are not made in this day and age. The only RYO I ever really enjoyed was Three Castles but that isn't made anymore, although I am told by experienced RYO people that Three Sails is a pretty close match. The last tin of Three Castles I had in my possession I shared with a couple of close friends on here who enjoyed it immensely and if any of you lot have a sealed tin of Three Castles PM me immediately since will buy it. As to @Briar Lee he is entitled to his opinions and every time I read some of his posts the theme tune from the Andy Griffith show pops up in my head. Good lawyers are good presenters of stories, good trial attorneys are usually nasty drunks but both I have found with one or two exceptions are generous souls at heart. If he wants to smoke prison tobacco and enjoy it let him have at it. We live in a free country for the moment!

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I enjoy Briar Lees reviews and thoughts even if I don’t always agree with him. As for RYO I’ve been thinking about getting some D&R for cigs but I shy away from the gas station bulks we’re talking about here. However this conversation has become fascinating and I’m excited to see how things go with our volunteers who are going to lay it on the line to see how these prison cig tobaccos fare lol

Reactions: King Bulldog

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
One thing is for certain @Briar Lee can take an insult on the chin and not bat an eye. Never have I seen retaliation or a negative comment in response, nor does he let it stop him from being him. That is a quality we should all try to emulate.
Yes, this is true. I keep in mind that this is a man who will smoke Cotton Boll Twist in his pipe and NOT puke - but will instead immediately light up a second bowl of the stuff.

I admire the way he can take a licking and keep on ticking - and while I will chime in from time to time to challenge some of the aspects of his story telling and positions (secret sauce, steel wool, or magic coloring properties) his enthusiasm for the simpler things in life is interesting. Why own a Rolex when an Orient will do. He's not necessarily wrong. But, this is the same man who wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything less than a $2000 dollar suit hand tailored by Kato.

Pipes by Lee, Marxman, Algerian Briar, and now prison tobacco. He might just be the runner up for the World's Most Interesting Man from Humansville, MO. Kudos, Mr. Lee. You are an original. Now excuse me while I get into my AMC Pacer and head on back to Missouri for some Cotton Boll Twist.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
With my wife at labor in the office I’m free to reasearch a little on our friends at Rouseco who have won my informal taste tests of many different tobaccos that a traveling hobo can afford, ten cars back from the engine.

The package says tobacco for eight generations:

——

Rouseco, Inc. is a full service tobacco manufacturer based in Kinston, NC the heart of tobacco country. For eight generations, we have not only made tobacco our business but our way of life. Currently operating out of our 140,000 sq foot facility offering three blends of premium pipe tobacco, Golden Harvest, Buoy and Golden Harvest SELECT. Along with Golden Harvest premium Filtered Cigars and Golden Harvest Filter tubes. Rouseco, Inc. is also the proud national distributor of Carolina Cigars a premium hand rolled Dominican cigar. Please allow us the opportunity to show you and your customers how the quality of our tobacco's, along with friendly service and on time delivery has set us apart from others in the industry.
——

Where is Kinston?

Gee, I feel like the day I discovered Robert Marx made a 400.

I suppose Harvest Gold SELECT might retail for a full dollar an ounce.

Move over, Capstan.:)

Buoy Gold is kinder like a Marxman Big Boy, not quite the best.

IMG_6988.jpeg

Last edited: