Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
No, not a great deal, but Capstan Blue and Gold, a raft of Va Pers, Cornel and Diehl Virginia, Kendal 7, Virginia #1, Luxury Twist Flake, and Happy Brown Bogie come to mind.

There’s not a nickel’s difference between well aged Virginia in a little can and a big pound plastic bag.

The RYO makers also add some burley, but not much in the Yellow blends. Straight Virginia without a touch of burley is bitey.

I’ve rolled a king size cigarette with Buoy Gold and it’s just over the top delicious. There just isn’t a better cigarette than the ones you can roll for under a dollar a pack.

All the stuff you read about new mown hay and citrus are in my nightcap smoke. If you are old enough to remember Player’s Medium Navy Cut this is every bit as good.

Virginia and Burley tobaccos are commodities. They must be aged before sale. The makers add flavorings and blend varieties but it’s all just, commercial tobacco.

Rouseco only uses leaf tobacco, no reconstituted leaf and no additives. It’s about 20% more than the cheapest RYO brands.

Most of the bagged RYO brands offer a $1.25 one ounce package, and I’ve tried a bunch and all are good smoking.

Spend your first dollar on Bouy Gold and see what you get.:)

If you don’t like it, you don’t like Virginia blends.
Damn @Briar Lee I’m gonna have to get me some of that. And, I don’t hold your hillbilly heritage against you… mine doesn’t compare to such a rich lineage. BTW, check out Shepherd of the Hills (1941) staring Wayne & Carey. Great picture! 👍☕

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The amount of vitriol and disdain coming from readers who have never even tried RYO is unpleasantly expected. Briar Lee’s unabashed crusade has touched a nerve. A nerve that is screaming “all that self-esteem wrapped up in overpaying for fancy-assed tobacco, and the contrived sales and marketing stories that go with it, just got hit head-on by an old farm truck full of RYO”

I had no plans to buy any RYO, but now I’m pretty much compelled to do so. I hope the uninformed naysayers are wrong, very wrong, but if the stuff sucks, I won’t hold back my opinion, either.
Had quite a few. Mostly pretty awful. I do very much enjoy 5 brothers and Dark Birdseye though, if you count those as “RYO”.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
I’m pretty sure Daughters and Ryan is Cigarette tobacco. But their reputation for a quality product in cigarettes and pipes stands on its own.

I could probably get just as good of a smoke from some of this RYO stuff as legit pipe tobacco. To each his own.

Keep posting on this stuff. It is good info.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’m pretty sure Daughters and Ryan is Cigarette tobacco. But their reputation for a quality product in cigarettes and pipes stands on its own.

I could probably get just as good of a smoke from some of this RYO stuff as legit pipe tobacco. To each his own.
I wish that I had bought a case of Mark Ryan's little Perique "small cigars". They were great.

I will have a "big write up" as we used to say in the old Newspaper movies, after carefully taste-testing each of these in a new cob.

Briar Lee.jpg

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks to a friend I tried some Picayune Cigarettes from D&R. Truly magnificent. And I hate cigarettes. I just really enjoy tobacco.
Mark was selling these, as well as Rimboche cigarettes for $1/pack at the Chicago show. I bought 2 packs of each. They are indeed damn decent. Great when time is limited.

And I am also very much NOT a cigarette guy.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I'd give them a try with an open mind. I smoked several D&R blends when they primarily RYO tobacco and found them rather good. No reason decent Virginia couldn't end up in a low cost bag.

Reactions: BenMN and MattRVA

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As an experiment I used a 78m roller and hand rolled cigarettes made from:

1. Top cigarette tobacco

2. Golden Harvest Red

3. Golden Harvest Gold

4. Luxury Twist Flake

5. Anniversiery Kake

6. Buoy Gold

The Top, tasted like a good American cigarette. It was mild, tasty,,,,,a cigarette.

None of the pipe tobacco cigarettes had a cigarette like taste, or mouth feel. Frankly a pipe tobacco cigarette is much better, bolder, more nicotine, stronger, than commercial cigarettes.

Buoy was the best pipe tobacco cigarette to my tastes.

A close second was Anniversiary Kake, with a dollop of Perique.

The others were all good, just different.

Reactions: BronzeAgePiper

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mark was selling these, as well as Rimboche cigarettes for $1/pack at the Chicago show. I bought 2 packs of each. They are indeed damn decent. Great when time is limited.

And I am also very much NOT a cigarette guy.
Yup. I bought one pack, should have bought a case.
Not a cigarette smoker.

Reactions: Briar Lee

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I can’t speak on the specific brand you’re talking about Briar Lee but I smoked D&R RYO blends almost exclusively for about a year before discovering C&D. If Rouseco Buoy Gold was a thing around here I’d pick some up but I’ve never seen it here in rural southern Oregon.

Reactions: MattRVA

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
It's relabeled cigarette tobacco to avoid higher taxation. As such the tobacco was processed the same as tobacco meant for the cigarette market and little Virginia flavor remains. Please stop posting opinion and anecdotes as facts. We have newer smokers here that are looking for help not colorful embellishment.
You had no issue understanding that the man is posting opinion and anecdote framed as fact and I suspect other readers won’t have an issue understanding that either. It’s part of his schtick which you’re clearly not into which is fine. I think most will understand what they’re reading and how much weight to give it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I can’t speak on the specific brand you’re talking about Briar Lee but I smoked D&R RYO blends almost exclusively for about a year before discovering C&D. If Rouseco Buoy Gold was a thing around here I’d pick some up but I’ve never seen it here in rural southern Oregon.

I’m reading about brands I’ve never seen, like Southern Steel, Ten Pointer, Traffic, Wind River, and Wild Horse.

All of these shag pipe tobaccos come in Red, Blue, Gold and Silver. Some offer menthol and Turkish.

Something else that fascinates me about the bottom tier pipe tobaccos are the tubes the stores sell.

A pound of shag pipe tobacco makes anout two cartons of smokes and two and a half cartons if the tobacco is “expanded”.

The clerks tell me old people come in once a month when they get their checks, and buy two puffed up pound bags for about $20 and they sell five cartons of tubes for $10.

$30 for five cartons of roll your own smokes. $6 a carton.

The do gooders that would tax that away to save the children are not my friends, you know?

The same shops carry $5 a carton tubes, and the higher priced tobacco like Golden Harvest and Buoy for $12 a pound. That means the premium cheap smokes are $11 a carton, using Zig Zag tubes.

People are not stupid, all the time.

There is a reason Rouseco brand tobacco is $12 and not $10 a pound. And the same goes for the tubes.

Even the better cheap pipe tobaccos are ribbon cut to where a six ounce bag is about the same size as a twelve ounce bag of moist, premium pipe tobacco like Smoker’s Pride.

The really expanded one pound bags of the cheapest are about the size of a twin size bed pillow.

We are lucky it’s for sale.

There’s no such thing as too much tobacco choices.

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
It’s part of his schtick which you’re clearly not into which is fine. I think most will understand what they’re reading and how much weight to give it.
How true it is. When I lived in Missouri, I had a boss named David Latimer. He haled from Sikeston, which is down in the Boot Hill. Anyway, he too was a tall tale talking good ole boy and subject to the same type of exaggeration my good friend Mr. Lee is prone to. In fact, they could have been cousins. Anyway, my wife and I met Dave and his good fishing buddy, Art Ronald, up in Ontario, Canada at a fly in fishing lodge called Kabeelo Lodge. As we are getting on the plane to fly out to our own lake (everyone got their own lake with cabins and boats) Dave says to me, "Watch out for the black flies. There about the size of cockroaches and they will bite the hell out of you." He want on about the black flies for a while and finally Art Ronald interrupts him and says, "Dave, you know those flys aren't that big." To which Dave turned and replied, "Yes, but if they were that big...." and continued on with his story.

That's the thing. Dave liked telling a good story, practiced telling them, and in someways, the story was the truth of whatever he was saying. It might have been even more important.

I think a good many folks from around places like Humansville or Sikeston are that way.

I don't know if Mr. Lee believes a Marxman is made as well as a Castello or if Algerian Briar has a magic sauce inside of it, but I know he loves his pipes and he is just plain fascinated with them in the same way a little boy is with his puppy. As we all would do well to be.

Imagine if Roy Clark was stuffed into Mr. Drysdale's suit. What you would have there would be @Briar Lee .

But no matter what, Roy could pick a mean guitar and I imagine Mr. Lee can as well.

Last edited: