PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Thanks for the heads up regarding Ennerdale. That's a bit disappointing, but guess I shall find out if I can figure out the flavors soon!
Ennerdale tin note is a hint of floral soap, pumpernickel, and fruity cream; it changes as it breathes. The tobacco is uncomplicated to smoke. The tin states "flavors of almond, vanilla, and fruit." Sure, it tastes like all of that and yet none of that. Basically, the amalgamation of flavors is better than the mere sun of its parts and is unique, delicious, and memorable.

It's a winner. It's pretty clear how these old school Lakeland region blends have stood the test of time despite all the recent crazy boutique stuff (which is also good, too!)

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
See the Sugar Duties Act of 1846.
“The passage of this act saw the equalization of duties on foreign and British West Indian sugar imported into Britain. Combined with the effects of abolition and emancipation, the sugar industry in the British West Indies went into a period of decline.”
As I understand it, the Act ended tariff protection for the British colonial sugar industry, by lowering taxes on non-British colony sugar. British West Indian plantations suffered, but London enjoyed cheap sugar as a result.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
LOL @ But I’d put my peepee in a fire
Just a bastardisation of the expression “I’d put my hand in fire” :)
And it may be the "distilled" oil is so concentrated compared to the plant, it over powers some of the more nuanced odors/smells...
For sure that can be the case, that’s why these oils are as strong as cosmic says.
@cosmicfolklore maybe it’s genetic? When I was little, before the internet I always violently rejected anything with coriander in it, made me feel my mouth if full of stinkbugs. My parents were baffled, thought I am bullshiting, decades later I found on the net that some people have a version of a gene that causes that perception of its taste. I still can’t eat anything with even a shred of coriander leaf in it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Got my order of Elf Dandruff in today and I've already smoked a bowl.

I agree it's a pretty good aromatic and its not as heavy on the lakeland as I expected.
Watchcity should re-brand it as a Lord of the Ring blend and keep it around all year.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Grousemoor does have a more citrus scent to it than a floral type scent (imho) which doesn’t translate into the smoke. I wouldn’t say it was lemongrass per se, but something akin to it, maybe something more like a Key Lime Pie or something; not so in your face as a freshly cut citrus can be. It’s a nice, light, spring time type smoke but isn’t floral like Grasmere which, to me, tastes like rose water and Turkish Delight. I don’t recall ever knowingly had rose geranium oil for any purpose so I couldn’t say if Grasmere has Rose Geranium oil in it or not.

I’ve got some Bosun’s Plug on the way which, according to the internet, has rose geranium in it; I’ll let you know if that’s true when it gets here. ?
Bosun’s Plug arrived and has been smoked. It seems to me to be a lot more gentle with the rose water/rose geranium than Grasmere. It reminds me of a lightly scented cob plug/1792 flake.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I wanted try every type of tobacco blend so I bought some 5 dollar cobs and bought some Lakeland brands. WOW Ennerdale is amazing I will be smoking that for the rest of my life and it's the first tobacco my wife actually likes - going to devote one of my unsmoked briars to it. Sam's Flake and Erinmore didn't do much for me. Next up St Bruno's, Grousemoor, and Kendall Cream Flake.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I wanted try every type of tobacco blend so I bought some 5 dollar cobs and bought some Lakeland brands. WOW Ennerdale is amazing I will be smoking that for the rest of my life and it's the first tobacco my wife actually likes - going to devote one of my unsmoked briars to it. Sam's Flake and Erinmore didn't do much for me. Next up St Bruno's, Grousemoor, and Kendall Cream Flake.
IMHO - people claim that St Bruno is a Lakeland blend but I don’t get that at all. It just tastes like a good old Va/Bur to me but I could be wrong. ?‍♂️

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
IMHO - people claim that St Bruno is a Lakeland blend but I don’t get that at all. It just tastes like a good old Va/Bur to me but I could be wrong. ?‍♂️
I notice the floral scent only if I stick my nose right into my jar of the ready rubbed. It's very faint. I do not detect it in the smoke at all. It's a very nice smoke, but not one I'd recommend to someone looking for a discernible floral topping.

If Ennerdale is 10 in a 1 to 10 floral scale, St. Bruno is 0.2.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I notice the floral scent only if I stick my nose right into my jar of the ready rubbed. It's very faint. I do not detect it in the smoke at all. It's a very nice smoke, but not one I'd recommend to someone looking for a discernible floral topping.

If Ennerdale is 10 in a 1 to 10 floral scale, St. Bruno is 0.2.
Yep, I agree but everyone’s noses are different I guess. The smell I get from the new non-Ogdens variant is a strong whiff of vinegar; this does seem to mellow out when it’s been in the jar for a while though. It definitely isn’t the same animal my ol’ grandad used to smoke.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I've said it once, maybe twice, but I'll say it again... you guys have no idea what Rose Geranium is. Buy some essential oils made from it, and smell it. You can get it on amazon. This is probably the most misleading thread I have read on this forum.
Thanks to this thread I am now growing three rose geraniums so I will know exactly what they smell like shortly. ??

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I've said it once, maybe twice, but I'll say it again... you guys have no idea what Rose Geranium is. Buy some essential oils made from it, and smell it. You can get it on amazon. This is probably the most misleading thread I have read on this forum.

I know what Rose Geranium is now ?
4417C5C8-7FF5-4ADC-A3A8-D332686684D7.jpeg

This leads to another question; what the heck do I do with it now?