PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Well I finally found some RG oil and now I’m hunting for an atomizer / spritzer bottle. Think I saw one awhile back so I’ll check back at that store. It was quite inexpensive.

I’m thinking a drop in some carrier like brandy or whisky and spritz the tobacco and put in a jar and shake it up and let sit a few days?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well I finally found some RG oil and now I’m hunting for an atomizer / spritzer bottle. Think I saw one awhile back so I’ll check back at that store. It was quite inexpensive.

I’m thinking a drop in some carrier like brandy or whisky and spritz the tobacco and put in a jar and shake it up and let sit a few days?
Sounds legit. ?‍♂️
Never done anything like that, but let us know how it turns out.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The alchemy experiment is on.

Found an atomizer that produces a fine spray - some are gloopy and not wonderful but this one works well.

2 ounces of D&R 3 Sails Virginia shag.

2 minuscule droplets of RG extract.

2 ML of Suntory single malt whisky.

Spread the shag on a baking pan and lightly spritz the lot.

Still have 99% of the 2ML concoction left and the entire room smell like rose geranium.

There’s probably enough left to treat several pounds of tobacco. ?

I’ll let it sit for awhile and see what happens and then jar it up to age a few days - if I can wait that long.

If it’s horrible I’ve sacrificed a pouch worth of shag, 2 drops of oil and 1/5 shot of whisky.

But the room smells quite Lakeland-ish.

That RG is incredibly potent stuff.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Yes it's powerful stuff! I definitely ruined some tobacco myself with experiments, although not 2 oz. I would suggest one drop per tablespoon of alcohol at least(if not 2 tablespoons) I kind of gave up with mine after I botched my one batch, but I might have to bust it out again. I'm interested to know how it turns out!

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Late yesterday I spritzed the tobacco again lightly and after about an hour jarred it up.

It has a very noticeable RG scent in the jar.

Being a naturally patient and methodical person that understands the value of sticking to a plan and waiting for the best result I immediately smoked a bowl.

It worked great. The tobacco has that distinct RG flavor and scent and tastes great. The floral aspect lasts through the entire bowl and isn’t too strong. It remained consistent with nothing weird.

Next time I might add a touch of burley or Izmir or something to see what happens. But I’m very pleased with the results.

The trick is a light touch with the RG. Extremely extremely light touch. Warned by many I drastically reduced the amount I began with to literally 2 tiny drops from a pipette with an opening about the size of a regular mechanical pencil lead. The atomizer worked a real treat too. It would be dead easy to overdo things and ruin tobacco with much more than what I used. And if the atomizer wasn’t used I suspect the result would be inconsistent and not good.

Curious to see how it ages and what the flavor does but I quite enjoyed the first two pipes - yes, I had a second one, lol. It was in the same vein as G&H Kendal Flake but obviously a lighter VA and a shag so different flavor profile, but the scenting was spot on for what I was attempting.

I’m calling this a success.?

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I'm happy it worked out. I've thought of doing that same thing but never got around to it. I'd love to either try or see someone do the same with Tonquin/Tonka beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.