PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Has anyone ever scented your own tobaccos with a food grade RG oil? I’ve seen it advertised in organic or health essential oil type stores and believe it can be ingested or smoked.

I’m thinking about mixing up a batch of D&R Three Sails with maybe a tiny dash of the stuff to see what happens but don’t want to poison myself. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh, bither-bother about poisoning yourself, the question is will it ghost your pipe. Just kidding, but I guess you have a designated pipe for the purpose. Do you have a lake in your vicinity, to uphold the Lakeland traditions?

It is indeed used in some Indian tobacco products. Ken Byron uses something similar in Live Wire. It will probably not have the exact same smell as a Lakeland tobacco
I’ve often wondered if the rosewater that can be found at Indian grocery markets would work. I just never tried it. No geranium, but it’s definitely food safe. And potent. I’ve used it in cocktails in the past. A little goes a long way.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I bought some for scenting tobacco. While it is very perfumy, floral and rose-like. It isn't exactly what I was expecting. I am assuming like all essential oils, the fragrance can vary slightly from brand to brand, but 100% pure is exactly that. As for my experiment, I easily overdid it, and that was me just rubbing a little on my fingers and then onto the tobacco. A very light hand is needed with this oil.

I've had better results with mixtures of other essential oils like bergamot, wintergreen, benzoin and lavender as they are a bit more forgiving with the amount you use. But with all oils, it's only a very very small amount you will use. Like 1 - 2 drops each per ounce(less for certain more pungent ones like rose geranium)

But it's fun to blend and use them, I've had nice results with a bergamot, benzoin, wintergreen concoction. Just dissolve into a little alcohol and spray on.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well I was out on a hiatus for a bit but I got called back in as I always do.

Yes I’ve experimented with everything mentioned here and more... my conclusion... leave it up to the experts haha, they are gonna do it much better than I can (or have time for). My best results were using the rose water mentioned above. I made a simple sugar with it and sprayed it on the tobacco... decent results but nothing better than the pros. I have experimented with rose geranium (I’m not the biggest fan of the stuff) but after experimenting with it I realized that is definitely the main ingredient in Grasmere Flake. It’s just too potent for me. I like a bit more complexity to the sauce like something you’ll find on Condor or St. Bruno.

I recommend looking into HU’s scented tobacco, I personally think they surpassed GH&Co’s scented tobacco. Stuff like Hadde’s Best Irish, Sissinghurst and evening Daddy Gefftl totally rock my world and the sauces they use are much more complex than any concoction that I could come up with.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Scenting is some 300 years old, and in that time the Lakeland scenters have, presumably, gotten the process right. Also, the crucible of work drives employees to solutions that amateurs are slower to find.

Finally, unless certain of s chemical's properties, I would be hesitant to ingest it.

Oct 7, 2016
M
Has anyone ever scented your own tobaccos with a food grade RG oil? I’ve seen it advertised in organic or health essential oil type stores and believe it can be ingested or smoked.

I’m thinking about mixing up a batch of D&R Three Sails with maybe a tiny dash of the stuff to see what happens but don’t want to poison myself. ?
Not 100% sure of precisely what you are looking at, but rose geranium has been used, and still is, in cooking. My cousin’s late husband was from the Middle East, and she made Turkish Delight from one of his family recipes. I have actually seen her use RG. Delicious stuff. Rose water is also used in some TD recipes. It tastes different than RG when used in TD. But it is still good.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I went hunting for rose geranium oil but found everything was marketed as essential oils and was repeatedly warned against ingesting as it was for external use only. The looks on the faces of the organic health shop workers was priceless when I explained what I was wanting. Had I told them I intended to buy party favors for a Satanic ritual to kickstart Armageddon it wouldn’t have been much different. ?

Years ago I got a similar look from an antique dealer when I bought several lovely old silver spoons with a particular floral pattern. The ladies just wouldn’t let it be and kept trying to “help” me in choosing the pattern - just trying to be nice mind, nothing untoward or unfriendly. I was interested in a particular couple of spoons and they were trying to sell me set or to determine if I was trying to match or complete a set. I tried not to explain because I knew it would piss them off if they knew what I wanted them for. Eventually I explained I wasn’t trying to complete a set of antique silverware but wanted to make gun holders out of the spoons and the pattern had to match the engraving on the Damascus steel receiver of a vintage shotgun. They were appalled. ???

The spoons worked great to hang my shotguns.

Status
Not open for further replies.