PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The French pipe-making industry, associated with St. Claude but located other places too, established briar as a major tobacco pipe material and originated a number of classic shapes some of which were coopted as "English" classics. The industry is close knit, highly competitive, and several steps above its average price range in quality. The long standing brands are rock solid, and Ropp sells a lot of interesting pipes made of vintage stummels fitted and finished with current materials. These include horn stems that are admired by many. I have a bent poker sitter that is both compact and lightweight as well as a snappy smoker. Ropp is recommended.

By the way, for a longer smoke with pipes with smaller bowls, just shift to flake, coin, plug, or rope cuts which burn slower and longer for a full-length smoke in a smaller chamber.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
It's one of the original Saint-Claude names, which to my way of thinking is a big deal.

For awhile they were most well known for their cherrywoods, which to me are really ugly. But these days they're more on the map for their "Vintage" line (based on old stummels with new oxhorn stems). I recently got one and I adore it.

Sykes Wilford said in an interview that when he smokes a Ropp, he wonders why he'd ever own a more expensive pipe.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I bought one, with the horn stem. It didn't matter what I put into it, it smoked really badly. Which is a shame because it looked pretty good.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I love my three Ropp etudiants and will pick up more eventually. They’re are all incredible smokers, lightweight, and have very comfortable stems/buttons. On top of that the vulcanite is relatively resistant to oxidization. I accidentally broke one of my J07 etudiants or I would have 4 etudiant pipes instead of 3. I have more Ropp pipes than any other brand.

Mar 1, 2014
I have a fair number of Ropp pipes.

The Briar and drilling in the bowl are fine, but the stems are just average quality vulcanite.

The big attraction for me is once in a blue moon they have some very unusual shapes with a nice sandblast, in '21 I collected a pair of oversize Ropp billiards, and about five years ago I got a bunch of long shank Canadain shape pipes, these shapes seem to have been a limited run.
If I remember correctly these pipes are leftovers from an old warehouse in France, so the Briar is about as "aged" as you could possibly get.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have a fair number of Ropp pipes.

The Briar and drilling in the bowl are fine, but the stems are just average quality vulcanite.

The big attraction for me is once in a blue moon they have some very unusual shapes with a nice sandblast, in '21 I collected a pair of oversize Ropp billiards, and about five years ago I got a bunch of long shank Canadain shape pipes, these shapes seem to have been a limited run.
If I remember correctly these pipes are leftovers from an old warehouse in France, so the Briar is about as "aged" as you could possibly get.
Do you have a pic of those oversized billards? And what are the dimensions?