PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Congrats! You have my respect! You chose a route that was not the “easy” way as probably 99% of your peers did after high school.
Thank you very much. It's certainly not easy but it is worth the four years of suck. The phrase everybody uses is that its a horrible place to be at but a great place to be from.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Thank you very much. It's certainly not easy but it is worth the four years of suck. The phrase everybody uses is that its a horrible place to be at but a great place to be from.
I feel ya. As for “the suck” .......just give it a big ole hug. It makes you more resilient and life proof ( at least I’ve been telling myself that for years). Seriously, wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: tg51

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I feel ya. As for “the suck” .......just give it a big ole hug. It makes you more resilient and life proof ( at least I’ve been telling myself that for years). Seriously, wish you the best of luck!
Will do, thank you sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
USN '68-'72, enlisted, SDiego boot and radioman tech, USS Gallant MSO (minesweeper oceangoing) 489, multiple long patrols near DMZ, Midway Island duty editing lithograph newspaper, Milwaukee recruiting. Best liberty port, British Crown Colony of Hong Kong, now gone, as are many of the Navy facilities where I served. Ship sold to Taiwan navy. Active small town at Midway Naval Station long closed, as is a later tourist facility. In one 'Nam port the ship tossed concussion grenades over the rail against swimmer sappers planting mines on the hull. Much excitement running a typhoon "evasion." You go to sea during big storms to keep from being destroyed against piers and buildings. We lost a major radio antenna about 20 feet tall, tore out the bolts. For about six hours, there was no "up or down." At Midway, I expected Alcatraz on the rocks. Instead, the Navy had its little town and airstrips and the rest was totally hallucinogenic, no chemicals needed, Australian ironwoods and hundreds of thousands of multiple species of sea birds, sea turtles, seal, and tiger sharks. Further from Honolulu to Midway than from New York City to Omaha. On the plane from 15K feet, you think, "We're going to land on that?" Out of the back of the truck to the barracks, I thought I saw tombstones from WWII ... no, nesting albatross arrayed across every stretch of lawn. I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Reactions: kurtbob and JMcQ

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, I admit I was a teeny bit younger, but back in 1972 President Richard Nixon wrote me a very nice letter with a deal that I could not refuse. He said he was going to feed me, clothe me, house me and even pay me to join the US Army. It was indeed a deal that I could not refuse. Just for fun I hauled out this photo that was taken during my basic training. I think I still look pretty much the same, don't all of you?

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Well, I admit I was a teeny bit younger, but back in 1972 President Richard Nixon wrote me a very nice letter with a deal that I could not refuse. He said he was going to feed me, clothe me, house me and even pay me to join the US Army. It was a deal that I could not refuse. Just for fun I hauled out this photo that was taken during my basic training. I think I still look pretty much the same, don't all of you?
View attachment 6084
You have the same look of exhaustion that I remember having in boot camp.

Thanks for your service.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.