PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Patel is basically Gurkha Jr. The flood the market with yard gars marketed as premiums, then have massive sales on overly-inflated prices to sucker people in to thinking they're getting a great deal.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Funny. I'm no cigar snob and I do like Rocky Patels. But I wouldn't cross the street for a free Gurkha.

Are there better cigars? Of course, but you will never see me popping $20 or more on a cigar. I don't care how good it is.

I'd rather buy a half pound of pipe tobacco and smoke for days....

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I like the Rocky Patell Cigars, I actually met the guy at an event in Bucharest - believe it or not he came in person to Romania, of all places. Not a big fan of aros, but I would be more than glad to buy a jar ... any u guys have any clue if they market it in Europe as well?

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
you will never see me popping $20 or more on a cigar. I don't care how good it is. I'd rather buy a half pound of pipe tobacco and smoke for days....
Me, too. But there are so many good cigars in the $2-$3 (on cbid) that are much better than anything I've tried from RP. Bueso Genesis, Villiger Colorado, and Sosa Classic to name 3 off the top of my head. Even the lower range Fuentes are light years ahead. IMHO, of course.

I really like the Guhrka Ninjas, but it's about the only one that I thought was worth a flip.
Talking to the Lane Rep at The Briary, the reason there are so many cigar named blends full of vanilla tobacco is that they are way that Lane is getting around the FDA regs to release new blends. They use cigar names that are already on the books, and then Lane is releasing some of their new vanilla concoctions under their names. Even he seemed to think it was ludicrous. But, they sell.

I agree that if they were going to use the cigar names, why not a new cigar blend. But, apparently non aromatics and especially cigar blends are money toilets. They don't sell worth a flip. It is still somewhere over 90% of all of The Briary's sales are aromatics. And, I still perk up if I hear someone come in and ask about a non-aromatic. It's so damned rare to meet someone who doesn't want a vanilla or fruity tobacco. And, even Russ says that aromatics are the basis for all online sales for them. I suppose that wine coolers probably out sale premium wines by a longshot also.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
According to pipesandcigars:
Aromatic pipe tobaccos make up more than 95% of all pipe tobacco sold.
Talking about the Lane, aromatics and cigar leaf based blends; I would like mention that Lane Andullo is a great blend :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
civilwar, after you sample it for a week or two, tell us what you think. The proof is in the puffing.

Javan, I just had to look that one up to see whaqt it was...

Dominican Republic cigar leaf is tightly bunched for two years to create a dark and flavorful tobacco that has been smoked as pipe tobacco in the Dominican for a long time.

That totally intrigues me, but then...

The folks at Lane Limited got their hands on some of this rich leaf and combined it with a good amount of silky black Cavendish to add smoothness to the blend, and finished it with a touch of Latakia to add depth and complexity.

Damn, so they take some fantastic cigar leaf that has been smoked for ages by folks, and they go and mess it up in typical Lane style?
I mean, I will probably still try it, but it's labelled as an aromatic. Is it a flavored aro-latakia crossover? Is the flavoring obvious?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If I want to smoke a cigar, I smoke a cigar. And I do prefer Rocky Patel over Gurkhas but developed a taste for Gurkha Seduction.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Michael, can't agree more with you. It is like saying "I had a good wine from 1986, I added some sugar and orange juice and made a sangria with it."

I don't know why but I liked that blend even before smoking it. Andullo sounds exotic and very Latin American to me. Like when you sit with some friends and someone says "I have a friend coming, her name is Isabella, she is going to be here soon." And you know that Isabella is going to be really attractive.

Dominican cigar leaf has a different taste, nothing like I have ever smoked before. Latakia is here and there from time to time, but not very obvious. And the cavendish; you were right, they messed it up in typical Lane style. I can even get a similar taste to 1Q from this one (probably because of the Cavendish and topping). I just see this blend as an upgraded and cigar leaf added aromatic. It can be an all day smoke and can be puffed non-stop. Here is a short video about Andullo (how it is twisted and cut):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTEvVwpCKpc

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Regarding the cigars, I have smoked Rocky Patel Connecticut and Platinum so far, Connecticut is a meh cigar, Platinum on the other hand was very tasty box-pressed cigar with lots of flavors (chocolate, coffee, earth, wood, vanilla). I have a RP Decade sitting in my humidor for more that 2 years, waiting for a special event to smoke that one.

Gurkha has some decent cigars in my opinion. Gurkha Crest for instance, is leathery, earthy and toasty with very rich and flavorful notes. I also tried Gurkha Warpig, it was a nice cigar (deserves 4 stars out of 5 IMO).

I see cigar leaf for what it is at face value. It is a color cured, fermented burley, sure and simple. It is an ingredient that can be used in anything. Saying that they are strictly for cigars is like saying that Red Virginias are strictly for cigarettes, because it is a leaf that is processed for cigarettes which has sort of crossed over. Or, like saying that peppers are strictly for chili.
It is a leaf that can be blend to make new things, and I always tell people who ask about cigar leaf blends that if you expect a cigar, buy a cigar, but if you want something completely different give a cigar leaf blend a try. Because there is no way to get a cigar effect from the pipe. But, if it does add texture, deeper rich flavors, and strength to blends, with subtle nuances of flavors that can be played with by blenders.
Now Gurkha Ninjas... if you like a strong robust dark leaf, this one will sneak up on you, ha ha. My only complaint is that they are too small. Just went I am settling into my chair, it's gone. I keep a few in the humidor at all times. I highly recommend them.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
:clap: Well said on the cigar leaf, Cosmic.
As for the Lane "cigar" blends, La Gloria Cubana and Punch seem to be regular English blends, and Partagas is a crossover. But yeah, Cohiba, Hoyo, and Macanudo all sound like bog-standard vanilla aros. I'm guessing at least one of them is 1Q.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Resurrecting an old thread...

I made an offer on ten sealed containers and half a dozen pipes that includes two of the Rocky Patel prohibition canisters. Looking for them online, all I’ve seen is that they’re on back order.

That makes me optimistic, but I don’t see that anybody on this thread shared their experience with them.

Has anybody here tried them yet?

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Civil War said he’d picked up three jars. Perhaps he didn’t finish the first one and these are the other two? I don’ know and if nobody responds, I can only speculate. My order shouldn’t be long in arriving, so I’ll be sampling it myself. I also see that Rock Patel has released a second blend, using the same 12 oz. containers.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Don’t know if any body is reading these posts, but my package arrived today (a day early!) and the first thing I did was open one of the Rocky Patel and try a pipeful (my meerlined Italian briar).

I’ve finished that pipeful and promptly packed another that I’m smoking now.

Mild, pleasant and no bite, I’m finding it to be very enjoyable.

I’m happy that I have the second container! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.