PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Why wouldn't the deeming rules be an issue?
Because they're already being made by STG. If STG is sending them to K&K, then the recipes would remain the same as they are in the most recent production.

Dec 24, 2012
I see. But I had understood that the Dunhill blends were already offside because they hadn't been sold continuously in the US since 2007. Moreover, unless something has changed in the rules, a name change means it is considered a new blend. Our resident FDA experts I am sure will comment.

May 4, 2015
I see. But I had understood that the Dunhill blends were already offside because they hadn't been sold continuously in the US since 2007. Moreover, unless something has changed in the rules, a name change means it is considered a new blend.
I think a name change has considerably less financial implication than introducing a whole new blend. I could be off base. The whole FDA thing has been so convoluted since the beginning.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Feller on another forum has a "source" that is telling him that these new Robert McConnell heritage Dunhill... things.. are actually being manufactured by STG and then sent to K&K.
Anyone have any info on this? If it were the case, then deeming shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like wishful thinking and it's the first I've heard of it.
A fellow on another forum had as "source" on YouTube who insisted he had evidence that K&K had been making the Dunhill blends, not STG. I replied that unless K&K had an operation in Denmark, which is where the label on the tin of Royal Yacht I was looking at says the blend was produced, it was unlikely.
In point of fact, the Dunhill blends were always produced on huge mother ships orbiting the Earth, with production overseen by Elvis, using secret processes involving consenting sheep and an aardvark. But, the ships were taken out in an alien attack, and Alfred Dunhill's simulacrum decided it was not worth the effort to replace them.
So now the blends are produced by K&K under wonderfully creative new names. Different plant, different tobaccos, different staff. The blends will probably vary in flavor from the STG version, which varied in flavor from the Murray's version, which varied in flavor from the Dunhill product.
The Dunhill blends were not eligible for grandfathering because they had been removed from the US market for a couple of years. These blends could enter the US market if they first go through either the SE or Deeming process. It's doubtful, though not impossible, that K&K is going to do that since there are other markets for these blends.
There is this geographic area called Asia. And in this geographic area called Asia there is a Country called China where people are mad for pipes and tobaccos. It's a growing market, unlike the US.
I suppose you could order them from a EU based tobacconist, much like ordering HU, which isn't distributed here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So now the blends are produced by K&K under wonderfully creative new names. Different plant, different tobaccos, different staff. The blends will probably vary in flavor from the STG version, which varied in flavor from the Murray's version, which varied in flavor from the Dunhill product.
All the more reason to get acquainted with American blenders- for those of us in the US- as their offerings are better than the formerly vaunted Dunhill marque. Buy locally, where you can, so European guys, too- or wherever- support your local blenders!

rockynrobyn

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
Hmmm... I just went to the K&K website and these blends seem to have been removed. I can’t find them anywhere on that site.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I think piper64 is referring to thebackyshop.co.uk who have had a link on the pipe tobacco page that says 'Dunhill pipe tobacco replacement' its been up for about a week or so but so far there are no blends when you click the button.

Chris.

P

pipebuddy

I'm guessing that Asia is the principle market for this stuff, otherwise it would make little business sense to do this.
Sable, Germany is an excellent market for Dunhill tobaccos. I think K & K had Germany in mind, more than anything else, then Europe.

I've only seen them available in Germany, so far, which is slightly odd as I would have expected the UK and other EU countries to get them as well at the present.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I just had a bowl of Majesty Elizabeth. Not very impressed. The only redeeming feature is the nicotine content which is satisfying and plenty.

Other than that there is a sweet-ish topping which reminds me of Erinmore Mixture, not very good.

The cut is ribbon but there are a few pieces of broken flake too.

I will report again after a few more bowls.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I reviewed seven of the blends here if that will help you, Wolfman:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-mcconnells-dunhill-clones-reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.