PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I’ve scoured the forums, and nothing I’ve found/tried seems to work.

I’ve tried saliva and rubbing facedown on a paper towel, lemon juice with the same treatment. That seemed to start to lighten the stain so I stopped.

I’d like to be able to remove it without the use of sandpaper, or other type of power tool that I’ll inevitably damage the pipe in the process.

This may seem minor, but bothers me to no end.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

View attachment 14467
View attachment 14468
Everyone is giving you good advice, but let me say that I have a Tom Eltang poker estate pipe that looked far worse than that when I bought it and after a careful cleaning with 70% alcohol, now looks fine. From what I can see of your pipe, the rim edge is sharp, and that’s good sign. Take a Q-Tip and dip it in 70% alcohol and very carefully work the discoloration on the edge of the rim. I think you will be happy with the end result. Good luck.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I’ve scoured the forums, and nothing I’ve found/tried seems to work.

I’ve tried saliva and rubbing facedown on a paper towel, lemon juice with the same treatment. That seemed to start to lighten the stain so I stopped.

I’d like to be able to remove it without the use of sandpaper, or other type of power tool that I’ll inevitably damage the pipe in the process.

This may seem minor, but bothers me to no end.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

View attachment 14467
View attachment 14468
Here is a picture of both the Eltang that I mentioned and a Brebbia collection pipe that I restored:
Both of them had what appeared to be irreversible rim char and damage, but as you can see, they both look perfectly fine now. The Eltang had what appeared to be significant rim charring on the back side of the chamber (at about one o’clock in this picture), but as you can see came away with only a slight rim softening and no discoloration. The Brebbia Collection also had what appeared to be significant rim charring (at about eleven o’clock in this picture) and significant blackening and darkening of the topside of the pipe. This pipe has little to no stain (just like yours) but as you can see from the picture it brightened right up and looks just fine now. The only issue left on the Brebbia is a significant rim softening (which can be seen if you magnify the picture) and does not detract from the pipe at all. Both of these pipes were cleaned using 70% rubbing alcohol and both looked like HELL during the cleaning process...but here they are free from the ravages of misplaced fire. Your pipe is nowhere as bad as these were when I got them, and I think it will clean to your satisfaction. As I said in a previous post, I see no rim softening on your pipe, and this is a very good sign. I hope that this gives you encouragement.

Reactions: diamondback
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't see the issue. It's a pipe made for smoking tobacco. If you smoke it enough is almost inevitable to get some minor charring. However, if you don't over fill and use proper lighting technique, you can avoid charring. Some tar buildup is easy to clean. Hot water works for me.

Reactions: perdurabo and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is why I never fill a pipe topped full. Leave a small gap under the rim.

most rim char is from the tobacco rising up as it burns, not from the lighter.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't know how people charr a rim. I've never done it even with the oldest pipes. Got black gunk that wipes of with a tiny bit of moisture.
One way to easily do it is with the new Bics that shoot a humongous flame more suitable to kill mosquitoes in flight than to light a pipe with. If you haven't mastered the art of inverting the lighter completely upside down without scorching your fingers, you must use the lighter tilted instead, which results in the flamethrower flame scorching the rim of the pipe. I've charred a number of pipes that way—cobs, a MacQueen churchie, a Curvy—, the only one built/coated tough enough so as to appear to be made of asbestos is my Vauen Basic Apple Panzerpfeife.

In the case of my Brigham, the flame from the Kiribi was just set too big: mea culpa.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
One way to easily do it is with the new Bics that shoot a humongous flame more suitable to kill mosquitoes in flight than to light a pipe with. If you haven't mastered the art of inverting the lighter completely upside down without scorching your fingers, you must use the lighter tilted instead, which results in the flamethrower flame scorching the rim of the pipe. I've charred a number of pipes that way—cobs, a MacQueen churchie, a Curvy—, the only one built/coated tough enough so as to appear to be made of asbestos is my Vauen Basic Apple Panzerpfeife.

In the case of my Brigham, the flame from the Kiribi was just set too big: mea culpa.
helps to turn the pipe sideways.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I did! The charring is worse that way when you use the Bic! :mad:
that's cause bics are for smoking illicit drugs. Seriously if the new ones are like that, they're getting their slice of that meth/crack money. Honestly that's the only reason they'd change to amp it up, nothing else would benefit from that. Glad I haven't bought a bic in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.