PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intricate37

Lurker
Jan 3, 2020
I’ve scoured the forums, and nothing I’ve found/tried seems to work.

I’ve tried saliva and rubbing facedown on a paper towel, lemon juice with the same treatment. That seemed to start to lighten the stain so I stopped.

I’d like to be able to remove it without the use of sandpaper, or other type of power tool that I’ll inevitably damage the pipe in the process.

This may seem minor, but bothers me to no end.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Reactions: seanv

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I always use 70% rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. The pipe looks natural so doing this shouldn’t harm the stain. Then go over the pipe with renaissance wax. Try a small area first.

Intricate37

Lurker
Jan 3, 2020
I agree that it is burnt wood. I made the mistake of overfilling and smoking while walking my dogs. In that case, is sanding my only hope?

If so, not sure I’d trust myself to not ruin the pipe.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
If you smoke outside, you'll most likely get a bit of rim darkening/charging. By not over-stuffing/being careful with the flame for sure you can keep from serious damage......but just a bit of wind one time on a light and you can get a darkened spot. This bugged the living daylights out of me at first too, but honestly the more you find zen with a small bit of rim darkening/char the better your piping will go!

When I bought several 'estate' (used) pipes directly from some very well known carvers, I'd take note of typical dark spots at the rim. When I'd mention the contortions I went through to avoid rim spots, I'd get answers all in a similar vein...."just smoke and enjoy them". You can wet the rim with saliva before a light, you can use a small amount of mineral oil on the rim after smoking as you clean the pipe.....you can easily keep from severe damage but some minor darkening/char just comes with outside smoking.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’d smoke it as-is myself.

If it’s really bothering you and you’d rather not DIY, from what I understand you could do a lot worse than seeing if PMC member @piffyr has the bandwidth to take it on.

Regardless, good luck and keep us updated! That’s a nice pipe :)

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's just different personalities, but if that much charring bothered me, I wouldn't smoke at all. For me, it isn't a pipe beauty contest, and some wear is evidence of pleasure enjoyed. Maybe that's why I don't pine for exquisite museum quality artisan pipes. An old war horse factory pipe with a great airway and good sized bowl can't be beat, and a little char gives it panache. But if you want new looking, and have the patience, it can be done. To my eyes, that's a fine pipe in its youth.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It seems the consensus is to live with it! As I said in your first thread, I’d have to agree! That rim is beautiful man! I wouldn’t risk damaging it for a tiny bit of darkening that just shows you love that pipe!

Sandpaper or micromesh may work if done right, but I’d get myself some therapy and learn to live with it before I’d put that the remaining absolutely gorgeous 99.5% of that Castello at risk! :ROFLMAO:

If you do take a stab at it, practice your methodology on some junkers first. They’re a dime a dozen on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.