PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
We need a well-organized specialized tobacco SWAT team to review the reviews.

Make that specialized tobacco referees that make calls like games

"penalty to the gentleman with the peterson pipe. unnecessary additional tamping."

"illegal blockage of the chamber from the sir who only uses one pipe. Just because you can't put the tobacco in doesn't make it a bad pipe, ream it, clean it, and then you can smoke."

*Whistle at someone complaining of how it burns their mouth* "Dry it, then try it!"

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have often thought that there should be a 'Jim Inks APP' were you program the APP with all you're parameters in regards to pipe tobacco. When you see a new tobacco you run the APP over the name and it gives you a thumbs up or down based on your known tastes. I often email Jim and ask him 'Do you think I would like this .....'. He normally replies along the line of 'No you will absolutely hate this blend because....' which is almost like having a Jim Inks APP.
So like a dating app for tobacco? What would you call it? Reamer?

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I surf these reviews some times. Occasionally you may come across one that has some substance with respect to being a detailed objective review. Most are statements of subjective opinion and mere balls and strikes commentaries that are nice but really don't present a meaningful posting.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’ve always found my tastes (and a lot of people’s can be swayed too easily) I’d rather smoke something a few times and figure it out for myself, i don’t want to taste “Madagascar Vanilla” because some homer puts that in his review. Btw the only good Madagascar Vanilla comes from the west side of the mountain.

Reactions: JOHN72

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
Found this beauty when looking up what tobaccos were in 7 seas royal i recently bought.

"... I poured a scotch and settled in. Lets just say if I could put this in the line of of good shit. It would be: P***y, 7 seas, t*****s, p*****g terrorists, a mature whisky,... and burnt gunpowder. And p***y better watch out."

Absolute nonesense besides a good laugh. not safe for work in the least, though now adays most tobacco related content is nsfw. reddit's gone nsfw on tobacco, though cannabis is still alright apparently, and youtube has been cracking down big time on cigar related content.

Almost wish smokingpipes would moderate reviews before letting them out. likely not the most popular opinion, but it would at least ensure the review stayed on topic haha.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I gave up reading tobacco reviews of all kinds after reading Cigar Aficionado reviews years ago…”hints of chocolate and nuts with overtones of currents and a leather finish.” (Recall that we’re talking about stogies here, not pudding served in a shoe.)

I initially wondered whether my tastebuds were shot when I didn’t detect these flavors or whether I was simply reading garbage. I finally realized the latter was probably the case.

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I gave up reading tobacco reviews of all kinds after reading Cigar Aficionado reviews years ago…”hints of chocolate and nuts with overtones of currents and a leather finish.” (Recall that we’re talking about stogies here, not pudding served in a shoe.)

I initially wondered whether my tastebuds were shot when I didn’t detect these flavors or whether I was simply reading garbage. I finally realized the latter was probably the case.
Most of what i get when smoking a cigar are singlular notes of flavors. i have a brand i like for direct earth and a bit of dirt, another for brown sugar, n last for a good coffee undertone. i don't know if the great cigars, which are expensive like the saka unicorn and fuente opus x, really give that kind of flavor. i rarely taste anything other than a leather boot from some cheap cigars, though i've heard a 10$ C is twice as good as a 5, but with diminishing returns further on.

and as to your cigar reviewer point, i've heard that a small amount of people are able to detect a wider range of flavors like a supertaster, but if i hear someone say they taste cardboard i get a bit leary. "buttered popcorn" and i'm out.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
Shout out to two PM advertisers. I get all of my tobacco and accessories from Smoking Pipes. They generally ship same day and I get it within 3 days since I am close to South Carolina. I just received several pipes from Missouri Meerschaum, excellent service. Both have good websites, fair pricing, so great.
Cheers

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
In the early 1970s I used to buy Borkim Riff because of the ship on the pouch. Pre internet age so no reviews. There want but a handful of blends in my area back then

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

Could be you weren't smoking very good cigars, or you have the palette of a goat. I've gotten some amazing notes from cigars, very pronounced ones that are hard to miss. I will say their annual ratings are garbage that's based more on advertising dollars than the actual cigars.

• Haha