PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Why not a Curvy? Yeah, it's ~$40 over budget but maybe it could be amortised via a piggy bank? ?

I like mine, although I don't smoke it as often because the chamber is, to me, on the large side of the spectrum.

I've yet to smoke my MM 2018 Limited Edition Cob Reverse Calabash: again, the chamber is so humongous that I just don't know what to pack it with; definitely not with a flake.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I bought the Chacom that shanez linked to a while back for around $60 from P&C. If you keep an eye on the sales they can be had for cheap. It's a great little smoker.

I also have a Tsuge Drew Estate which could certainly be looked at like a RC.

They don't smoke drier. It's just that the moisture stays in the chamber so you perceive a drier smoke. The moisture is still there whether from moist tobacco or improper technique. That said, I am glad I have a couple. They are great during the summer months when I don't have time for drying the tobacco before smoking. Nice for when I'm in a hurry.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
In a functional sense, Falcons are reverse calabashes. The humidom is an expansion chamber that immediately follows the smoke chamber. They do collect all the moisture at that point. They do provide a dry, cool smoke.

Reactions: PadrePiper887

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Both of the Volkan RC pipes sold. Interesting since their auctions often don't draw a bid.
Did any member here win one?

Reactions: tobefrank
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have an Ascorti and a couple of the Missouri Meerschaum reverse Calabash pipes. Yes, they do smoke differently than conventional pipes. Cooler? Yes, a bit; but I have other pipes which smoke as cool or cooler, like my H Wiebe Radiator pipes, my Adam Davidson cavalier, my General Dawes Lyon pipes, and my gourd Calabash pipes. The Radiators and the Cavalier smoke so cool that I have to be careful not to puff too hard and overheat the bowl.

It would be interesting to know the volume of a puff. If the added space in the chamber represents a significant percentage the volume of a puff, then a meaningful portion of the smoke which exits the pipe will have been hovering and cooling in the chamber. If not, we're fooling ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.