Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
Does anyone of you know where to get a reverse calabash pipe below $80? I've been wanting to have one but online sources put them at around $100 and above. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: chopper and rushx9

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don’t have any actual advice for you. I will note that many of my actual army mount pipes act like mini-reverse calabashes. The somewhat large, irregular chamber that forms in an army mount perturbs the air and collects condensate. Probably not as much as an actual one.

So maybe you could find a Peterson or Savinelli system pipe in your budget, where the system is just a complicated reverse calabash?

Reactions: rushx9

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
I don’t have any actual advice for you. I will note that many of my actual army mount pipes act like mini-reverse calabashes. The somewhat large, irregular chamber that forms in an army mount perturbs the air and collects condensate. Probably not as much as an actual one.

So maybe you could find a Peterson or Savinelli system pipe in your budget, where the system is just a complicated reverse calabash?
Thanks Casual, i'd look around for some savinelli dry system.

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
Why do you want a reverse calabash?
Not sure if there could be more of a fad than the reverse calabash?
I've read in some posts that they smoked drier and cooler than system pipes. That interested me so I want to try one if I could find one that fits the budget.

Reactions: chopper

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I've read in some posts that they smoked drier and cooler than system pipes. That interested me so I want to try one if I could find one that fits the budget.

Thats interesting. It is possible, I suppose. I wonder if either compares to just using a balsa filter. I know my Sav dry system pipe with a filter is very forgiving of wet tobacco and poor technique.

I think I may have seen Moretti reverse calabashes on eBay, although I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new one on your budget.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Does anyone of you know where to get a reverse calabash pipe below $80? I've been wanting to have one but online sources put them at around $100 and above. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Finding a decent RC at a reasonable price was not easy.
At first all I could find were a few very unattractive examples for around $100. I'm a bit of a bargain hunter so I kept searching until I found this brand new Volkan RC for auction with a starting bid of $56 including postage from Italy;
volkan reverse calabash - $80..jpg
It's a very good smoker.

The seller is prestigepipe - they have two handmade RCs for auction atm; one with a starting bid at $59usd the other at $79. An opening bid should win your preference.
Either are a steal at those prices IMO.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Why do you want a reverse calabash?
Not sure if there could be more of a fad than the reverse calabash?
They're no gimmick. Most of my blends are actually too mild to smoke in my RC, so I reserve it just for flakes like PS LNF.

Reactions: BROBS

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Finding a decent RC at a reasonable price was not easy.
At first all I could find were a few very unattractive examples for around $100. I'm a bit of a bargain hunter so I kept searching until I found this brand new Volkan RC for auction with a starting bid of $56 including postage from Italy;
View attachment 21696
It's a very good smoker.

The seller is prestigepipe - they have two handmade RCs for auction atm; one with a starting bid at $59usd the other at $79. An opening bid should win your preference.
Either are a steal at those prices IMO.
They've also got a bog oak Morta with a starting bid of $45usd [free postage] if anyone's interested.

P.S. Forgot to add; Those opening bids for the RC pipes, $59 & $79, include postage from Italy.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Missouri Meerschaum occasionally makes these available for $50, but a reverse calabash isn't going to do more than good smoking practices will.

20180224_002736.jpg

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
They've also got a bog oak Morta with a starting bid of $45usd [free postage] if anyone's interested.

P.S. Forgot to add; Those opening bids for the RC pipes, $59 & $79, include postage from Italy.
Just noticed that the Buy It Now price on the Volkan RCs is $132usd.
They've also got a Bog Oak Morta RC for sale but at $176usd it's out of my price range.

• Love
Reactions: PadrePiper887

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
a reverse calabash isn't going to do more than good smoking practices will.

This.

You can track down one of the MMs embers posted or you might get lucky bidding on an pipe. There's a Joaquim up for $80 right now but I think it's rather ugly.

If it were me, and I wanted one right now, this Chacom estate at SP for $13.50 more than your price point is what I would get:

Not wanting one right now I'd wait until I got the right bid on one.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
An actual gourd calabash can give you what you're looking for, but they're not cheap either. That aside, I agree with chasingembers. Your smoking technique may need work over getting a fancy pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.