PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
One of my earliest pipe memories is of my scoutmaster lighting his pipe with a Nimrod pipe lighter.

9DD6787F-99FC-4253-AC8B-15E2A3534A20-3531-00000386E5C203EB_zpsfe2ac68d.jpg

This functional example came to me as a gift from my lady.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I still have one of those, with the leatherette on one end, although it is not in working order. The internal shaft where the flint goes broke and I don't know of any way to repair it. They do work pretty well.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
It is pretty awesome. Brings back a lot of memories for me. Beats the heck out of my "ball of fire" Zippo, heh heh.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Always liked the Nimrods,just a cool design to me. Had one but sold it a few years back.

hambone

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I have several of these, both the Sportsman version you have pictured and the Gold Executive version. I've been snatching them of eBay when I see them in good shape and reasonably priced for awhile now. I like to gift them to pipe smoker friends. Best lighter IMO.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
tennsmoker, they aren't made anymore but you can find them on Ebay and other resale sites. Not a lot of money and the "cool" factor is huge.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I've had one of the Sportsman Nimrods for a while, best pipe lighter I've used. I still use matches whenever I can, but the Nimrod is handy for those windy days.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have a Nimrod which a friend gave me. His father was a lifelong pipe smoker, and he wanted me to have his lighter. I only get three days between refills, is that normal?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I find that any lighter fluid type pipe lighter needs frequent refills. Heck, I cannot get a full two days out of this one. My Zippo needed to be refilled every few days as well, so I suspect that this is normal. Another part of the pipe smoking ritual.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I used to have one and I sold it years ago on E-bay, I never enjoyed the taste of lighter fluid, butane or matches for me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I had one years ago, in college and after - have no idea what happened to it. This was in the days when more folks smoked, and most women I knew had long hair. If I was asked by a woman for a light, and I had a new flint and it was full of fluid, I would always advise her to hold her hair back, so it wouldn't get singed. :puffy:

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
I acquired a Nimrod Sportsman pipe lighter recently, and I absolutely love it.

What do you gents suggest for replacement wicks?

To feed the steel wheel, zippo flints fit the bill nicely. Perhaps zippo wicks are a suitable replacement?

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I too recived one from a friend, his grandafather had past and I was the only one he knew that would put it to good use. I feel it is the best lighter I have, I reach for it over my corona. Maybe because of the sentimental value or because of the uniqueness of it. It is part of my smoking ritual now.

Cheers

seeker

Lurker
Jan 6, 2014
I have had a Nimrod for a few years and I love it, however, it does seem to be high maintenance and need to be refilled much more often than my Zippo. Even when it lights it often extinguishes on the inhale. I have Zippo flint and wick in mine and replaced the cotton to answer a couple questions above. I just don't want to have to carry lighter fluid with me every where I go. Although, I think you guys have motivated me to pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.