PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Shock Treatment didn't even make sense as a sequel.
I had to look that up...never heard of it lol.

I was actually just making a dumb joke...trying to make it sound like I thought this was about the Stallone movies.

As for the RHPS, in its day its appeal was that it was a novelty, and something genuinely original, creative and far-out because society wasn't attempting to normalize sexual pathology then...and the movie wasn't attempting to make it seem normal. But today it would just be something they're showing in grade school classrooms so it's completely obsolete. And with all of the trans crap being shoved in our faces 24/7 the last thing I would want to watch for entertainment is something with that theme.

It did have a pretty good soundtrack though...again, as a novelty.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had to look that up...never heard of it lol.

I was actually just making a dumb joke...trying to make it sound like I thought this was about the Stallone movies.

As for the RHPS, in its day its appeal was that it was a novelty, and something genuinely original, creative and far-out because society wasn't attempting to normalize sexual pathology then...and the movie wasn't attempting to make it seem normal. But today it would just be something they're showing in grade school classrooms so it's completely obsolete. And with all of the trans crap being shoved in our faces 24/7 the last thing I would want to watch for entertainment is something with that theme.

It did have a pretty good soundtrack though...again, as a novelty.
Yep

Now I've got "Damnit Janet" stuck I my head.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I think I read once that you dabbled with 79 yourself. Even though I am sure that you didn't like it, I will assume that any suggestion that Rocky Horror is a good in any way is merely the lingering side affects. This just shows... it's not safe to dabble with the 79. It might just make you root for a Transylvanian Transvestite that has a thing for Virgins. And, Meatloaf, blech. Ha ha puffy
Dabbled?
No, I mocked it, derided it, and created the infamous Mixture 69, “A Moist And Pungent Collation”

Oct 27, 2022
NC
@OverMountain @FurCoat , I'm going to check out Tobacconists Of Cary (pipeandleaf.com), whose website shows Esoterica, tomorrow since I've never been before. Will let you know if I see any. Never had any Esoterica myself having only been about a year into pipe smoking.

*Heavy sigh* What a let down after viewing online images of the place. They only had 4 pipe tobaccos for sale. Not bad ones mind you, Lane and Stokkebye, but no tins whatsoever. They did say when Esoterica ships that they always get some and that they only sell inhouse when they have it. So, if Esoterica is your jam keep them in mind if you're in NC.

Good luck to anyone on the hunt. There are too many other blends I haven't tried to spend time waiting in the Esoterica pumpkin patch for the Great Pumpkin to arrive for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only Esoterica I cellared deep and smoke on a regular basis is Stonehaven. For the last few years I have been working my way through a 3 pound batch of 2007 Stonehaven that I bought from a guy. He thought he robbed me at 83.00 a pound, lol I couldn't pay the guy fast enough. I have batches from 2009-2012 with the most being 2012. I haven't opened a bag or a jar of anything but the 2007 and I only smoke it in 2 of my Rad Davis Lovat's.

The last time I bought it I purchased 12 bags at 35.00 a bag from a guy who wanted his cash right away. This was before social media where prices went berserk. He also offered me 15 bags of Penzance but since I didn't smoke that blend I told a friend who loved it and bought all 15 bags.

There are still tobacconists out there who will sell their entire stashes in one go. They need cash flow and don't care where they get it from.
One time a company emailed me about bags of different types of Esoterica not Stonehaven or Penzance. I think it was about half a dozen bags that I knew nothing about but I figured what the hell maybe I will like one of them. They mentioned some type of licorice topping and since I love licorice I grabbed them. The price was right at 35.00 a bag.

The only time I ever bought Stonehaven from one of the big sellers was a bag of Stonehaven from 4noggins. I had done some other business with him and Rich was always cool with me so I asked him to save me a bag and he did. All my other came from private parties or small mom and pops. It takes work to find the best small sources but when you hit one, they normally sell you a crap load if you are willing to spend the money.

Reactions: beargreasediet

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
*Heavy sigh* What a let down after viewing online images of the place. They only had 4 pipe tobaccos for sale. Not bad ones mind you, Lane and Stokkebye, but no tins whatsoever. They did say when Esoterica ships that they always get some and that they only sell inhouse when they have it. So, if Esoterica is your jam keep them in mind if you're in NC.

Good luck to anyone on the hunt. There are too many other blends I haven't tried to spend time waiting in the Esoterica pumpkin patch for the Great Pumpkin to arrive for me.
That's a bummer.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I picked up some Tilbury just because I saw it at a local shop last year but haven’t opened the tin. A member tossed in a nice sample of Stonehaven when I bought some tobacco from him and another did the same with a bit of Penzance. I liked the Stonehaven, but haven’t tried the Penzance. The above is as far as I’ll go.