PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whenever I hear that silly word "drop" applied to pipe tobacco, all I can think of is....

depositphotos_9887128-stock-photo-sharpei-dog.jpg
20200921_215348.jpg

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Never had an Esoterica blend worth chasing,

If there is one thing that irritates me to no end is the whole “limited” or “allocated” moniker that’s on everything these days.

Almost every market is saturated with those terms.

Sure, I’ve been fortunate with some purchases in the tobacco and bourbon markets, but not a single one has ever been worth it and I could care less if I never get those blends or spirits again.

I’ll take a bowl of a GLP blend or a MacBaren one with a side of Lagavulin or Elijah Craig and be as content as ever.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
@FurCoat Pipes by George is down on Hillsboro street. Last time I was in there they had some house blends and a good selection of tinned. No esoterica.
I stop by George's once a week. My office is on the corner of Glenwood and Hillsboro. He's got some decent stuff on the shelf but no Esoterica. He's not too confident that he'll get a drop any time soon. I walked in the store about a year ago and he was holding a bag of Stonehaven. George doesn't do online sales so there is usually a gem to be found. It's the B&M's that don't have an online presence that have hard to find stuff laying around.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I have run into small shops that do online orders but reserve harder to find blends for walk-ins and established customers. I've built up relationships with several and they'll call me when they get shipments I might be interested in.
“He who winneth souls, is wise”.
I am content and thankful for what I have. The hunt continues for that next great tobacco experience.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
feb17-03-a0022-000113.jpg

"Overrated" is an odd term. It only means something if other people's opinions matter to you. Since I don't generally give a rat's ass what most people think of anything, something being branded as "overrated" is pretty meaningless, to me. That doesn't apply to things that go through a well-designed and documented comparison test, but we're dealing with highly subjective issues here, like taste and smell, and since some of you actually enjoy Capt. Black Grape and Ennerdale, I know I can't trust any of your opinions!

That said, I really enjoy the Esoterica blends that I've tried. I never pay more than retail for them, which I think is a fair price. The Esoterica blends fit in nicely with my other favorites, and I enjoy them sparingly, so it's not like I'm jonesing for them if I ever run out.

But If I were you, I'd ignore everything I just said. Everyone knows that my officious opinions are highly overrated.

highly subjective issues here, like taste and smell, and since some of you actually enjoy Capt. Black Grape and Ennerdale, I know I can't trust any of your opinions!
Some of these guys intentionally smoke Mixture 79, and force back the urge to vomit, damaging their senses and sensitivity to aesthetics. This is why we get fans of Nickelback, Spin Doctors, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. puffy

I was with you up until Rocky Horror. I'd substitute Mariah Carey.
I think I read once that you dabbled with 79 yourself. Even though I am sure that you didn't like it, I will assume that any suggestion that Rocky Horror is a good in any way is merely the lingering side affects. This just shows... it's not safe to dabble with the 79. It might just make you root for a Transylvanian Transvestite that has a thing for Virgins. And, Meatloaf, blech. Ha ha puffy

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad