PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
used it on two of my pipes today and all went very well.
@ romeowood - in your instructions you said you had never used it on a horn stem... i did today and it worked just fine. i did use masking tape around the end of the hose just because the stem was quite thin. no noticeable affects other than being clean.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I've always been skeptical of the value of retorts but you've made a believer out of me. I hope you can find a way to work out the finances and make them available to more of the folks here. Great work!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Glad it's working out for you kcvet! Let me pay this month's bill before I go charging it up again....
@Jason -- good to know; I didn't figure anything deleterious would happen, but you never know. Until you know, that is, and now we do!

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
@ arthur - one thing i have always notice about Petes is how short the tenons are in comparison to the mortise, at least on the three i have had. is this what you are referring to?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yep, I swear by retorts. Used to use the old salt and everclear routine. But nothing beats boiling alcohol steaming clean your pipe's innards. Good stuff.

Aug 1, 2012
Love my retort. Takes a bit more time than a couple minutes to get it thoroughly clean, especially if it's a really dirty pipe, but it's worth the time. Protective gear and something to put out fire are the mandatory minimum but with proper precautions it is not too hazardous.

Status
Not open for further replies.