PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Got one of the excellent retorts sold by another of our fine members and have been trying it out.

First off it's well thought out with very high quality parts. Second it's bloody AMAZING!
I have been running a few pipes through that I thought were clean.

After the alcohol makes a couple passes up and down the tube the look goes from crystal clear to looking like roofing tar.
I can't praise these too much!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
So UA are you having to tip the retort to get the alcohol into the pipe like I am? Or am I possible doing something wrong?
I have just been tipping the boiling alcohol into the bowl, and it works great! I love my retort!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I run the alcohol up to the line marked on the flask and it takes it's self up into the bowl. I do hold the flask at a slight angle rather than straight up.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
While I didn't buy my retort from someone on the forums, I will say I love my retort. I'll admit, I wasn't to fond of the idea of boiling Everclear, but after seeing a video online, I tried.
If you're into cleaning your own pipes, a retort is a must have.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
PIPE RETORT.
You fill it with alcohol, and put a flame under the glass chamber and it shoots the boiling liquid into your pipe and cleans it out.
It's a colonic for pipes. :laughat:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Hey, glad you guys like them! It was a real search to find decent lab glass, with a lot of misfires. I made cool spice bottles from the rejects though.

@ Bubba--try keeping the level of the pipe about even with the level of the top of the retort glass, with a slight (upward) bend in the tubing between. And don't be afeared to hold the bulb right in the flame til it boils. There's a little cracking sound when it first gets to boiling temp; that's normal but a little unnerving the first time. The glass is not about to explode.

@Arthur--I'd actually recommend using a little less alcohol in the retort. I use about 1/2 the bulb (~10-15ml) and it's good for a single pipe or two light cleanings. Faster and easier that way.

@dd951 looks like your is stuck in atlanta for some reason. "rain wind sleet & snow" my butt.
Oh, and use a funnel to fill the retort via the tube, leaving it attached.
As far as a second batch, I'm not sure. Shipping killed me and it was kind of a loss, aside from hooking up some buddies with them. Let me give the credit card a rest and mull it over.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Just got mine in the morning mail, it is beautiful, thanks Romeowood, I am tickled to death. I will use it later thiis afternoon, Thanks again for all the work you did puting this togeather. Jerry :D

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If shipping killed you then you should charge a little more for them to cover costs! I'm sure in a few months there will be enough buyers to make it worthwhile!

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I've been thinking about trying to get a retort, does it replace the traditional method of pipe cleaners all together? Or does it not replace the old fashioned scrubbing with elbow grease?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
You'll never use salt and alcohol again after seeing how useless it is, johnny. It won't replace elbow grease for cleaning out the outside, though.
I'm considering doing this again, but I'll have to rethink the logistics. I can't do priority shipping with confirmation, which makes me nervous--but it's just too expensive. The cost of materials was around 22-25 all told, and then shipping ran 5-9 each. If everyone who wants one could send me a pm, so I can get an idea of being able to order for a dozen, that would help.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Just did a Peterson system pipe. Due to the way the stem works it won't let the alcohol be sucked back down. I ended up dumping out the sump a couple of times. What I thought was a squeaky clean pipe proved to be pretty cruddy! WOW! I'm having a lot of fun here!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Same here Uncle A. I love my pipe retort. Glad I got it. Im sure if he has enough intrest he would be happy to make more.

Status
Not open for further replies.