PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow HUGE news!! Congrats!! I've been "retired" since 2005, but mine wasn't voluntary. I'm sure yours will be far more enjoyable!

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
9df0856af5118e6705bcc8c6ac591288.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Congratulations! I did so 11 years ago and it really took some getting used to the reality of it. For about three weeks I had this idea that I was simply on vacation until it finally sunk in and I didn't realize how hard I worked until I stopped doing so as I had one hell of a time falling asleep for about four months. Time to kick back and relax, but don't let yourself get too sedentary. When all is said and done, retirement is f'ingtastic! :D

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Welcome to the "Other club"! I retired 8+ years ago, spent first couple of months adjusting to the reality that it wasn't just vacation extended. After a while, my wife said, "You need to get back into the business world somehow, without going to work." She could tell I missed some of it. Ran into a couple of guys manning a SCORE booth at a local home show, ended up as a volunteer business counselor for the local Small Business Development Center, helping people on my own schedule. That was always my definition of retirement: doing what I want on my own schedule. Work? Don't have time for it!
Enjoy, my friend, with a pipe as your companion!

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Congrats on retiring! I retired 12/31/09 and maintain it's the best thing I ever did! Ouch! The wife just smacked me again.
You do need the quick training course.
When asked "What do you do now that you are retired?" - you are required to reply "What ever I damn well please"!!
Practice this phrase - "I do nothing better than anyone I know"!
Now proceed into a brave new world!

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Congrats! Let us all know what your smoking tomorrow an if we have we'll join you. Even if we don't we'll celebrate together. :puffpipe:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Congratulations on your well earned achievement, time now to relax, chill & smoke more pipes!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks guys for all the encouragement and best wishes, really appreciated. I have to say that I slept 8 hours the last two nights and have not done that in the last two years. I am waiting for Sunday night to see what happens, I have not slept well that night for years.
My last official day was today but I took off to go to a cigar festival with friends and one of them asked since I am retire now if I wanted to come work for him and makes me an offer. Oh the pressure, I was not officially retired and already have a new job. I in a very solemn voice said I would think about it and let him know in 4 months. He said he will wait.
Well I have picked the blend for tomorrow, my first official day and it is, wait for it NOT Penzance. It is a 9 year old tin for Ferndown "Yellow & Brown" to match my mental age, not my physical one.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Far as I know, you only live once.

You decide how within the parameters you help to make, and those imposed arbitrarily.

I would still be working if I thought I could do it physically, but I had to acknowledge that I had hit the wall and now I'm glad I did.

That first year ended with me having some seriously upsetting (painfully debilitating) few weeks to the point that I started smoking ryo cigs again after a 5 year quit. I have no idea why.

Since then, I've discovered pipes and tobacco and my health has improved significantly, not only from enjoyment of the hobby, but maybe in harmony with appreciating MY time.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Congratulations on a milestone well reached! I know it's a cliche now, but the retired folks I know are busier now than when they worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.