PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
I would never use ISO alcohol to clean a pipe. Cheap whisky does the trick and isnt a toxic chemical (some may disagree on that) i own but one pipe, smoke it day and night and seldom rest it. Ive had it over 20 years and its still great to smoke and has a nice easy draw. I had a dunhill given and passed it on to a friend as my cheap briar smoked better by a huge margin. Its now got a rather oddball stem that i made and is none the worse for that. To clean, i use good old swiss army knife, a bit of copper wire , kitchen roll and cheap whisky and the pipe is better than when new..its like an old friend. No pipe is binfood unless its got a hole burned through it in my book. Like an old black powder pistol...just clean it regularly or it will let you down.
To each his own but there is noting wrong with Isopropyl Alcohol and nothing cleans better with the salt treatment

Reactions: Briar Tuck and Wulf

Wulf

Lurker
Dec 21, 2022
Saltburn, North Yorkshire, England
To each his own but there is noting wrong with Isopropyl Alcohol and nothing cleans better with the salt treatment
Like all things in life, we all finds ways that work for us. To me though isopropyl is a fuel. My old pipe is 20 plus yrs old and still going wit h my method. If it works why change it...and i get to sup some whisky while cleaning my pipe. .win win... Iso isnt easy to get round here either but whisky is.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I would never use ISO alcohol to clean a pipe. Cheap whisky does the trick and isnt a toxic chemical (some may disagree on that) i own but one pipe, smoke it day and night and seldom rest it. Ive had it over 20 years and its still great to smoke and has a nice easy draw. I had a dunhill given and passed it on to a friend as my cheap briar smoked better by a huge margin. Its now got a rather oddball stem that i made and is none the worse for that. To clean, i use good old swiss army knife, a bit of copper wire , kitchen roll and cheap whisky and the pipe is better than when new..its like an old friend. No pipe is binfood unless its got a hole burned through it in my book. Like an old black powder pistol...just clean it regularly or it will let you down.
Well, there you go, one pipe for twenty years. Think what he’s saved on pipes.:)

But notice he’s kept it clean using cheap whiskey, and he’s not allowed it to sour.

He loved that pipe, didn’t neglect it.

When you see one all caked nearly shut, it was used like a hammer.

By the way, a man who has smoked tobacco using one pipe for twenty years, loves smoking tobacco in a pipe.

Hoarders like me, smoke tobacco so we can smoke all those pipes we love so much, you know?.:)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Like all things in life, we all finds ways that work for us. To me though isopropyl is a fuel. My old pipe is 20 plus yrs old and still going wit h my method. If it works why change it...and i get to sup some whisky while cleaning my pipe. .win win... Iso isnt easy to get round here either but whisky is.
I would like to see this pipe.

Reactions: Briar Lee
I prefer to think of restoring the old girls as entertainment. I get to relax and spend time with an old pipe that someone else spent hours and hours with. Usually, those hours and hours were full of tobacco, life and neglect. I am just trying to remove the effects of the tobacco and neglect. Some of the scars from life are what give the old girls their character. I just gave my daughter and her husband each restored Petersons for Christmas. We enjoyed a bowl in them tonight in the garage. You guessed it, my vote is to restore them. Practice your craft, hone your skills and make someone else happy.

From SE Nebraska