PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I received a well used Kaywoodie as part of a lot that I won on eBay. Most of the other pipes were pretty easy to get cleaned up and back to smoking condition, but this one was a mess. The bowl was so caked that I could see no way of actually getting any tobacco in there, certainly not enough for more than a few minutes of smoking time. The stem...ugh, the stem. I have run over a dozen alcohol soaked pipe cleaners through it and they are still coming out brown. I don't think this pipe was ever cleaned. Amazingly, not much in the way of chatter or indentations though.

I've already spent hours reaming the bowl and cleaning the stem, and it occurred to me that the time I've put in surely exceeds the value of the pipe by an order of magnitude. On the other hand though, I have to imagine that this pipe must be a pretty good smoker, because someone clearly smoked the hell out of it.

What say you? Are filthy, low value estate pipes worth the time and effort restoring, or should they be binned?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have a cheap 30+ year old beat to heck “Grail” salvage pipe arriving Friday - it’s beyond me to restore so it will be off to Rich at Briarville right after Christmas. You have skills, well done you and please post up pics of your project!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This has been my thinking as well. Very good practice.
This one was a fun challenge.

SlinginBlades

Lurker
Nov 30, 2022
Pennsyltucky
Personally I think it's well worth the time/effort. I recently bought my first estate pipe, a haggard looking Kaywoodie for cheap off the 'bay just because it looked unique & I wanted to try my hand at reviving a relic. While I by no means am a pro at it, I must say spending a little bit of time, a couple bucks in supplies & some elbow grease is well worth the satisfaction at works end. I now have a new hobby. Buying a bench polisher is my next investment.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
$30

View attachment 188651View attachment 188652View attachment 188653

It's not so much the value as it is the sense of accomplishment. I say have at it and do post photos!
I agree. There is indeed a great sense of accomplishment in restoring a really beat up pipe. Your work in restoring has been an inspiration to me.

All told, with the lot I purchased, I spent about $5 on my Kaywoodie. It cleaned up much better than I expected, and I'm very happy with the results.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Here are a few pics of the formerly filthy, now smokable, Kaywoodie Standard. I didn't polish the stem, and I usually don't for pipes that I just want smoke and enjoy. It had a lot of calcium build up, so I simply used a Magic Eraser to clean it up and oiled it. I could probably do a little more work on the rim as well, but I'm satisfied with it for now. Most of work was done in cleaning the stem and reaming the completely caked bowl.

9DE263A2-86FF-4154-903D-BB37E103AF8E.jpegF52336C4-6320-46A4-9CD8-2640060D6462.jpegAD0D2C8E-BA44-46CA-9786-3D4213820EEA.jpeg

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
When I first started smoking a pipe, my wife found a rack full of pipes at a fleamarket and bought the whole set for around $20. The pipes were all smoked hard and were filthy. There were about ten pipes and one of them was beyond what I could fix, but the rest of them ended up being a fun project, and three of the pipes (all kaywoodie, interestingly enough) are among my best smokers and favorite pipes. It was really fun bringing them back to life, and them being great smokers were just the cherry on top.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve cleaned up many old, heavily caked, very well used pipes and enjoyed it. This last summer I resurrected a large French billiard and a Two Star Lee medium Lovat back from near death.

But, I’m sorry to report that’s not the best way to build a stash of excellent smokers.

I’m convinced a briar pipe is just porous enough to over time absorb smoke residue, and that smoke residue will over long time become rancid, and then the bloom, is off the rose, and thereafter that pipe won’t deliver the same pleasure as when it was younger.

The same thing, happens to us.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
I’ve cleaned up many old, heavily caked, very well used pipes and enjoyed it. This last summer I resurrected a large French billiard and a Two Star Lee medium Lovat back from near death.

But, I’m sorry to report that’s not the best way to build a stash of excellent smokers.

I’m convinced a briar pipe is just porous enough to over time absorb smoke residue, and that smoke residue will over long time become rancid, and then the bloom, is off the rose, and thereafter that pipe won’t deliver the same pleasure as when it was younger.

The same thing, happens to us.

That's nothing a few days of kosher salt and 99% ISO alcohol will not fix

Reactions: Briar Lee

Wulf

Lurker
Dec 21, 2022
Saltburn, North Yorkshire, England
I would never use ISO alcohol to clean a pipe. Cheap whisky does the trick and isnt a toxic chemical (some may disagree on that) i own but one pipe, smoke it day and night and seldom rest it. Ive had it over 20 years and its still great to smoke and has a nice easy draw. I had a dunhill given and passed it on to a friend as my cheap briar smoked better by a huge margin. Its now got a rather oddball stem that i made and is none the worse for that. To clean, i use good old swiss army knife, a bit of copper wire , kitchen roll and cheap whisky and the pipe is better than when new..its like an old friend. No pipe is binfood unless its got a hole burned through it in my book. Like an old black powder pistol...just clean it regularly or it will let you down.

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_225527.jpg
    IMG_20221221_225527.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20221221_231951.jpg
    IMG_20221221_231951.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221221_235133.jpg
    IMG_20221221_235133.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 8