PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I’ve been smoking a pipe 50 years. My rotation is to smoke the same pipe two consecutive days, 2-3 bowls each day. I space those daily bowls so they completely cool off between smokes. Then it rests about three weeks. Works for me.

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
The advise I got from the guy at the tobacco shop where I bought my first pipe was I only need a second pipe if I want to smoke while the the other pipe is cooling down. I don't smoke that often and I still did not follow that advise as I have about 15 briars.

Reactions: BROBS

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I have many pipes - "variety is the spice of life" as they say plus when I worked in several pipe shops 50 yrs ago I had a case of PAD. I never smoke the same pipe twice in a day as it gives me an opportunity to enjoy my collection and the memories I associate with each one. I pick my pipe based on my mood and what I will be doing. I clean each pipe after smoking, which I think is the most important thing. Some smoke better then others. As well said here, do what fits you and what you like.

Reactions: BROBS

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I get a new pipe in I fill the bowl to the top, and then smoke it to the bottom. I let it rest a day and then fill it to the top and smoke it to the bottom. I do this for 2-3 weeks and then check the cake inside the pipe. I want to see a nice hard cake building up. I only smoke flake tobacco and that builds a nice hard cake. If the cake isn't where I want it, I will smoke it for another week. Once I break in a pipe with a certain genre of tobacco, I am usually good to go. Sometimes I might change the genre and look for another. Other times I get a great combination and then I will only smoke one blend in it. No matter what pipe I smoke, I never smoke more than one bowl a day in any given pipe and I always let a pipe rest at least one day.

I clean the piss out of any pipe I smoke in a day as I will never smoke a dirty pipe. I have plenty of pipes, 50 something and I enjoy variety. I also never smoke the same blend more than once in a day. I like having every space in my racks full and ready to smoke at any given time. No I am not too anal.

Reactions: Ziggywm

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
For my quality briars I usually pick a particular pipe (by the blend type I'm smoking) for the day. I will burn 3-4 bowls throughout the day.; letting the pipe cool sufficiently between sessions. At the end of the day, I make sure I clean the inside out with a series of pipe cleaners and wipe down stem and bowl with a soft microfiber cloth; no problems or excessive wear. Once a month I will apply wax to the same briar and stem oil (if needed) and thoroughly clean the shank and stem with vodka then distilled water using a bristle pipe cleaner/q-tips. Now my cobs, which are my casual daily smokers, I tend to run those harder. Cobs are a wonderful, inexpensive implements that can take a beating. Generally with proper care you're good to smoke your briar multiple times per day IMO.

Reactions: Ziggywm
To each his own!
The only way of knowing is to just try out what works best for you. You certainly don't have to worry about ruining your pipe, but in my experience not letting your pipes rest will have a substantial effect on the taste of the tobacco you are smoking. Depending on the individual pipe not even a whole day of rest will do in my experience. So I let my pipes rest for 2-3 days at the least. Then again, I seem to be in the minority with my way of going about things.
Happy smoking to y'all.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
If I’m at home, I’ll chop and change bowl to bowl. Different pipe each time because I can.

When I’m out and about, I’m not carrying loads of pipes about with me so I smoke either the same one or flip between two.

I don’t consciously think about resting pipes. And not noticed a difference between quality of experience either way.