PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I'm in love. Just got a new Gigi Classica in the mail and I never want to hold another pipe again. So tell me, will I seriously ruin this pipe by only using it for say 3 bowls a day? I seriously want to attempt to stick with this pipe only, or use it the most.

Attachments

• 20210311_221019.jpg
    20210311_221019.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 20

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A wee pipe like that. Smoke it as much as you wish. Many pipe smokers only own one pipe, smoke it daily, one bowl after the other. Just keep it clean. It all depends on who you wish to emulate. Many insist on "resting" a pipe after a days use. Some assign a blend to a pipe. Others can be anal with regard to how they treat their smoking implements. You paid for it. Enjoy.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
A wee pipe like that. Smoke it as much as you wish. Many pipe smokers only own one pipe, smoke it daily, one bowl after the other. Just keep it clean. It all depends on who you wish to emulate. Many insist on "resting" a pipe after a days use. Some assign a blend to a pipe. Others can be anal with regard to how they treat their smoking implements. You paid for it. Enjoy.
This advice speaks to me.. thanks.. I thought I wanted to assign blends and did that a while. But I hate my own indecision when I want to smoke. I've cut back on blends, and now pipes are next naturally suppose. So cleaning it...after each bowl or once a day etc? Any advice on that if I were using it more than once a day? And to what extent? Any suggestions are appreciated.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
Amazing pipe! It should be fine for a handful of bowls a day. You may check to see that there isn’t moisture pooling in the bowl/stem, but even that would take a while to ruin a pipe. As mentioned earlier- a pipe cleaner through it and around the bowl should do the trick.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So cleaning it...after each bowl or once a day etc? Any advice on that if I were using it more than once a day? And to what extent? Any suggestions are appreciated.
I disassemble them after each smoke, run a pipe cleaner through the stem and draft hole, wipe the mortise with a Qtip, wipe out the chamber with a paper towel, and reassemble it to be ready for the next smoke.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If I were to smoke the same pipe more than once a day, I'd do exactly what the Cap'n does. That's basically what I do with mine, except that I wash the stem in the sink with dish soap and water and then leave it to dry over an upside down cup on the rack.

If you're not dedicating a pipe, avoid the fabled cake: less chance of ghosting if you don't build any and religiously wipe vigorously the chamber with a paper towel after each smoke to remove all traces of ash, tobacco, and carbon. Hell, if you are dedicating a pipe, avoid the cake also.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
What would you do had you never heard that it important to rest a pipe?

I find that when I get into something new I tend to obcess over maintaining. Over time I come to realize it's just a thing to use and enjoy. When I just focus on enjoyment, the thing starts to take on the nature of a companion.

That said, I do not abuse anything intentionally. It's just my nature that I came to from my grandfather.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I'm going to offer a little different opinion. Yes, Briar is tough and can absorb some abuse, however, it does also absorb moisture. This is why you rest a pipe. Will not resting HURT the pipe? Probably not, but if you dont allow time for that moisture to evaporate it can AFFECT the pipe. If you continually impart moisture without allowing it to dry out you run the risk of the pipe getting sour. Cleaning after each smoke will delay this, but not prevent it. I follow the 1 day of rest per bowls smoked formula. It works for me.